Skip to main content

House Hunting

Have you ever seen the TV show called H*use H*unters International?  The show features an individual or a couple who want to rent or buy a house or apartment somewhere outside of the US.  They meet with the realtor and tell him/her what they'd like and what they can afford.  She then takes them to three places and they choose from among those three places.

All of the episodes I've seen have taken place in either Europe or a nice tropical island somewhere.  I'm thinking it's time to have a Niger episode and that I could totally be on it.

When the flood waters hit, 53 adults and kids living on our two campuses found themselves with uninhabitable houses.  23 of those lived in the dorm, so I didn't need to work on finding housing for them.  But, I was very involved in finding housing for the 30 others.  The first thing we did was send a letter to other missions asking if they knew of any houses for rent.  Often when missionaries leave they want somebody to live in their house until they get back or they know of houses for rent in their neighborhoods, etc.  We found four houses this way....three on one compound and another is the seldom-used guest house of another mission.  These four places are already furnished and the people only had to move in.

But that still leaves five places we've gone house hunting for.  Unlike the show where they show you three and then you choose, I've looked at 19 houses and am going out today to look at more.  And other people have looked at houses, too.  It's not as quick and easy as they make it look on the show.

The thing is, not all houses are that nice or move-in ready.  They're what might be referred to as "fixer-uppers".  Or they're too nice and so is the price.  Finding a nice house in our price range takes a lot of time with the realtor!  A side note to spending this much time with realtors (I've been working with two different men) is that I've spent a lot more time than usual using my Songhai and French.  It's been good for my language skills!  My newest French word is "sinistre" which means people who have been displaced by a disaster.  It does NOT have the same meaning as the word "sinister"!

Let me give you a peek into some of the houses we've rejected (if I can get the internet to load my pictures!)
The all-in-one bathroom....sit on the toilet, take a shower, and brush your teeth all at the same time.  The sink still needed to be installed where that drain pipe is.
The leaking, mildewed ceiling in a brand new house.  Several rooms in this house had this issue, which was too bad because it was a pretty nice house.
Pretty sure the house wouldn't fall down????
This is actually a decent kitchen and it already had a washing machine hook-up.  No, houses here don't come with machine hook-ups.  This kitchen is large compared to most, it just needs some repairs.
The hall that lead to nowhere.










A little over two weeks ago when we realized how many houses we needed to find, it was a bit overwhelming!  But just the day before I had heard about a missionary moving, so we were able to get their house.
A nice feature of this house is its walk-in closet.  This is extremely rare here where most houses don't even have closets.
There are actually two houses on the compound, so that provides housing for a family and a single lady.

We found another house not far from that one that two of our single ladies will share. It had previously been rented by a family who had put screens on the windows, so we won't need to do that.  We're sprucing it up with some paint, adding a few outlets, and putting in a washing-machine hook-up.

Another family found a house close to their work place.  In fact, we've rented this house in the past, but had heard it had already been rented out.  It turns out it is still available, so we won't need to do anything to get that house ready.

One more house to go and we should have a place for everybody.

Not only that, but two HUGE houses (mansions!) have been rented; one for the elementary school and one for the secondary school.  Another two very large houses, side by side, have been rented for the dorm.  One will be the boys' dorm and one the girls' dorm.  (I had nothing to do with finding those buildings.)

All of this is costly, though.  We rent our SIM-owned houses at less than market value, and now people are finding themselves having to pay more than they budgeted.  It is also costly for the school to have to rent buildings rather than use their own completely paid for buildings.  Part of our relief project will help cover this increase in rent. The project will also help pay for restoring our buildings once the flood water recede.

And let me remind you, that 50% of the project goes to help local families who lost their entire houses to be able to rebuild.  Simply click here if you'd like to donate to this flood relief project.


Comments

Beth said…
Wow, Nancy, looks like you have looked at some real winners! I am simply amazed by how God has helped you to find all this housing in such a short amount of time. Thank you for all the work you have done to find our friends comfortable places to call home.
podso said…
It's good to hear more details on what's going on there and your role. Wow. Thankful almost everyone has found a home by now and especially the school!
Kandice Stowe said…
Good job on rejecting those houses, Hannatu. I'm sorry, but they just look so horrible. Don't stress yourself with house hunting. Take some time to relax and calm down so you can make the right decision. :) I hope you'll find the right house soon.
Drew Andrews said…
I admire your determination to help these families. Finding just one house to live in is hard enough, so I know how stressful this is for you. I’m also impressed that you were able to look thoroughly in each of the houses because it could get tiresome in the long run. I hope you’re doing fine. Keep on going, Hannatu; you’re an inspiration to all of us!
Armandina Skerl said…
You are such an inspiration, Hannatu! I’m sure the people you’ve helped truly appreciate your generous gestures. :-) And I do understand what you feel. House hunting can be a pain, especially if you are looking for a large number of people. I’m sure that you will pull through! Update us!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …