Friday, July 06, 2012

Story....New Books and New Chapters

 Five Minute Friday at TheGypsyMama


STORY

I like to think of each person's life as a story.  Each new adventure is a chapter in the book.  My story started in 1959.  Some of my chapters have been "Growing up in Africa", "Coming to Know Christ", "Moving to America", "Living in Four Different States", "Going to College", "Missionary to Kids in Nigeria", "Getting Married", "Having Kids", "Ministering in Small Town Niger", and the latest "Becoming a Mother-in-Law".

Mingled in with my story have been my husband's stories and my kids' stories.  For almost 26 years John's and my stories have shared chapters.  For 23 years Daniel's story has also been partly our story and for 21 years Suzanne's story has been partly ours.

Now their story lines will diverge from mine.  It's been fun helping the newly-weds set up their apartments and to spend time with them as they begin their chapter called "Married Life".  I'm excited that both Suzanne and Kelly have blogs so I can follow along in the chapters of their lives.
Helping Suzanne and Theo set up their furnished apartment
We were able to loan Daniel and Kelly this Turkish rug
and to give them some furniture for their apartment

On Fridays a group of folk meet here for a free writing exercise.
Just 5 minutes. On the prompt that’s posted here just after midnight early Friday morning. Want to know more – check out the Five Minute Friday back story over here.
And every week I feature a favorite Five Minute Friday post by one of you over there in my side bar. It never ceases to amaze me the creative collaboration that can come from all of us writing on just one word.
Want to join our favorite free writing exercise of the week? It’s easy peasy:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat on the prompt: “Story” with no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

OK, are you ready? Please give me your best five minutes on:  Story::

3 comments:

kelli said...

I love how our stories intersect and collide with each other's.
You have captured this beautifully.

I look forward to the day when my mother-in-law chapters can be written . . . :)
A blessing to see you making the most of those relationships!

Elizabeth said...

The events in our lives are like chapters in our book of life aren't they. I look forward to the mother-in-law and grandmother chapters in my life.

Cassi Brightforest said...

So true on how are stories are never just our own