Friday, June 29, 2012

Dance

Today's topic at thegypsymama is 

DANCE....

I grew up in a church background that did not allow dancing.  I know there were plenty of  reasons for it, some of them very good, others a bit flimsy.  I have, for example, reservations about someone who is married involved in an intimate dance with somebody who isn't their spouse.  I have reservations about dancing in places where the main purpose is to pick somebody up.

But I've discovered that dancing at weddings is a blast.  For one thing, it is a family setting and the purpose is simply to have fun.  

I'm not saying I'm any good at dancing, since I've never danced much.  And anybody in my family could tell you I've got no sense of rhythm or beat.  But so many of the dances I've seen are people just doing whatever they want so who cares if I'm not in time with the beat?

Photo by Jooshin "DK" Kim
Taken by a guest on a "throw-away" camera
Recently I got to dance with my son at his wedding.  And to watch my husband dance with our daughter at her wedding.  Both events were a culmination of a life-time of loving, mentoring, disciplining, feeding, taxi-ing, playing with, and being blessed by our children.

Taken on a "throw-away" camera
Now they dance off with their spouses and begin their own lives, someday raising their own children.  I can't help but think of the song called "Dancing in the Minefields" by Andrew Peterson:

I was nineteen, you were twenty-one
The year we got engaged
Everyone said we were much too young
But we did it anyway

We bought our rings for forty each
From a pawn shop down the road
We made our vows and took the leap
Now fifteen years ago

We went dancing in the minefields
We went sailing in the storm
And it was harder than we dreamed
But I believe that's what the promise is for

"I do" are the two most famous last words
The beginning of the end
But to lose your life for another I've heard
Is a good place to begin

'Cause the only way to find your life
Is to lay your own life down
And I believe it's an easy price
For the life that we have found

And we're dancing in the minefields
We're sailing in the storm
This is harder than we dreamed
But I believe that's what the promise is for

So when I lose my way, find me
When I loose love's chains, bind me
At the end of all my faith, till the end of all my days
When I forget my name, remind me

'Cause we bear the light of the Son of Man
So there's nothing left to fear
So I'll walk with you in the shadowlands
Till the shadows disappear

'Cause he promised not to leave us
And his promises are true
So in the face of all this chaos, baby,
I can dance with you


No, marriage isn't an easy dance, but with their marriages having Christ as their focus, they will get through.
++++++++++

Want to join our favorite free writing exercise of the week? It’s easy peasy

1. Write for 5 minutes flat on the prompt: “Dance” with no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Thank you for sharing those words. Yes, marriage is challenging indeed. If only many would pledge to dance through the minefields together.

Tim and Richelle said...

enjoyed this very much, nancy! and have very much enjoyed watching suzanne grow and become an amazing young woman.

y'all have done a great job as parents - thanks for being examples to those following along behind you!

Mindy @ New Equus - A New Creation said...

This is really good...and so glad that you got to dance with your kids! :)

Beth said...

I enjoyed your take on "dance" Nancy. Perfect timing for that theme for you and I have to say that I had a good laugh while watching the video of the dancing at Daniel's wedding. So fun! After reading the words to that song I had to go check it out on youtube. What a powerful message!