Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Happy Birthday

Dear Suzanne,

 21 years ago today you were born.  I remember it so clearly, it hardly seems possible that that many years have passed.   Labor started right after supper and we left for the hospital around midnight.  Everything progressed well, but when it was nearly time for the delivery, I told the doctor I couldn't do it.  Daniel's birth had been so difficult and I knew I couldn't go through that again.  The doctor brought his stool up to my head, held my hand, and gave me a good pep talk.  He told me the baby was coming no matter what and I might as well work with him and the contractions.  He convinced me, and not much later, you were born.

You were bald, but with a perfectly shaped head.  You were absolutely beautiful.  You started sleeping through the night almost right away.

When you were three months old, we went back to Niger.  Somehow the flight and jet lag messed you up and you quit sleeping through the night.  I don't think you really slept through the night until you were at least a year old.

We've had our moments, and there have been epic mommy fails.  But you have always been a delight. I have even grown spiritually because of who you are and because of the way your faith is so real to you.  I will never forget when you were healed of asthma.  Yes, I doubted a bit....not because I didn't think God could heal you but because I didn't want you to be hurt or your faith to be shaken if you weren't really healed.

Now in just four short days you will walk down the aisle to meet the man of your dreams. Your name will be changed and Theo will now be your protector, your delight, the focus of your attention and of your life.  Your dad and I will miss the role we've always played in your life.  Thankfully, we will still be your parents and we will always be there for you.  But our function will be a bit different from now on out, and that's the way it should be.  "For this reason shall a man leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife."

We are so proud of you.  We are so happy that Theo is the man you will be marrying.  We wish you the very best as you celebrate your 21st birthday today and your wedding on Saturday.

1 comment:

Katie Barker said...

So very very sweet! I hope the weekend is so wonderful (I know it will be).