Friday, May 11, 2012

Five Minute Friday

Joining in with Lisa-Jo for another 5 Minute Friday...On Fridays over here a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes. Unscripted. Unedited. Real.
Your words. This shared feast.
If you have five minutes, we have a writing challenge <—click to tweet this!

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.

OK, are you ready? Facebook chimed in last night and overwhelmingly voted for a prompt either about mothers or Mother’s Day. This was one of the suggestions and I love that it can apply to any and all, mother or not. So please give me your best five minutes on:
::

Identity…

What is my identity?  Personnel coordinator at work, wife to a good and godly husband, mom to two adult children, and in just a few short weeks, mother-in-law.

But I think my identity is more than that.  My identity is in Christ.  Which means that in any given day, I don't know how He will use me, but I need to be ready to be used.

This week a former student of mine posted this on facebook:  I think that's one of the reasons why Mrs Hall is my favorite teacher, because after 3rd grade, I was born anew, so my heart was open for the first time in my life to experience LOVE! Mrs Hall welcomed me into 4rth grade with that BIG smile of hers, and I knew that she was sent into my life to fulfill HIS plan for my transformation! 

My former student who encouraged me this week with his kind words.

 He talked about how he was mean to teachers and dorm parents when he was in 3rd grade, then he gave his life to Christ and was mentored by another staff.  Than, by the grace of God, I was used in his life when he came into my classroom in 4th grade.

But I didn't really know that until this week, almost 30 years later.  How often have I said something mean to a student, to one of my children, to my husband, to a co-worker, something they'll never forget because it hurt them so deeply?  Or have I been there to help them, to encourage them, to say a comforting word?



My precious family

I'm touched that God used me in that young man's life in a positive way and I pray that he will continue to use me with those I come in contact with daily.  I hope and pray that my identity isn't just one of my jobs....personnel coordinator, wife, mom, mother-in-law, missionary....but that my identity is Child of God and an Instrument of Grace and Mercy in His Hands.   

2 comments:

mhomes said...

Nancy, I couldn't have said it better!! May this come to my mind especially in those challenging moments when I need to choose wisely how I respond to others!! Thanks for being part of my life!

Beth said...

That conversation made me think, too! I wonder, what will my students remember me for? Sometimes it's a little worrisome...but I pray that God will help me to impact my students in positive ways.