Skip to main content

Take Me Home Terrible Road

I know it seems kind of random to write about Niger when I'm in England, but I've never had a chance to write about our experience traveling back to Niamey from Maradi. So, if you'll excuse the we go on a road trip in Niger!

We left Maradi around 7 a.m., knowing we had about a 12 hour trip ahead of us.  Thankfully, we knew the worst part of the road was the first part.  Once we got through the first three hours, it would be smooth sailing from there on out!

The road between Galmi and Maradi is pretty much destroyed.  Some parts of it you can't even tell that it was ever paved.  Other parts are still paved, but full of potholes  (the disappear to China kind!).  At other places it's just easier to go off the road and drive beside it.

We were making good progress when we heard a strange noise.....there were three others traveling with us.  We stopped the car to look and we had a flat tire.  So, John decided it would be a good idea to pull the car off the "road" a bit more.  Major problem....the car wouldn't start up again.

He opened the hood to discover that the battery was caked up with acid and couldn't make a connection. I "just happened" to have baking soda with me which we mixed with some of our drinking water in a bowl we also "just happened to have and John used J's toothbrush to clean the connections. Often that does the trick, but, nope, the car still wouldn't start.

Meanwhile, the temperature was rising, the wind was blowing, and there wasn't a speck of shade anywhere.  You'd be surprised, walking far enough we did find a place to hide behind for our "rest area".

So we called our Security Officer and told him what was up.  He said he'd send somebody out with jumper cables, but they couldn't come right away.

So, in the mean-time, we pushed the car off the "road" a bit more and got the tire changed.  Not long after that our friend called and said help was on the way.  But not even five minutes after that, a van carrying friends from orientation, showed up. 

So we decided to push the car and see if we could start it that way.  It worked!  We called our friend back and told him to not bother sending the jumper cables. And we were back on our way, bouncing and thudding over the potholes.

Once we got to Galmi, friends fixed a delicious meal for us.  John took the car into the town to get the tire fixed, but none of the little tire repair shops were open.  It was Friday afternoon and everybody had gone to the mosque.

So after our break there, which was a little longer than we intended, we were back on the road.  A couple villages down the road we saw another tire repair place open, so we stopped.  John got out and they pulled a screw out of the tire and patched it.  But then they saw a slit in the tire which they said they couldn't fix.  Most tires here use tubes but since our car was brought in from Switzerland with five nearly new tires, we have tubeless tires.  He said he could put a tube in it, but we'd already spent half an hour there and it would take at least another half hour.  We decided to go on.

Thankfully, every time we stopped our car started.  We did leave it on while at the tire repair shop, though, and I think everybody but John had a little nap in the air conditioning!  I know I did.
Onions, onions everywhere.

We pressed on, driving as fast as we could, knowing darkness would descend before we got home.  We called a missionary family and asked if we could stop at their house to use the bathroom.  They graciously said we could, but before we got there we encountered a car with smoking coming out from under it.  We stopped to help, though there wasn't much to do.  We did get their phone number and gave it to our missionary friend to give to his mechanic.  Hopefully the mechanic was able to go out and rescue them.

The last two hours of the trip were in the dark and it really was stressful.  It's hard to describe....the roads don't have much of a white line along the side so when a car comes towards you, you lose sight of that line.  Then many of the cars don't turn their brights down, so you are blinded.  Broken down trucks are parked right in the road and it's hard to see them until the last minute.  Then there are the speed bumps.  I cannot tell you how many towns had speed bumps and how many towns did not give you any warning that there was going to be a speed bump!

Cows looking for shade
Once we arrived in Niamey, we needed to deliver our passengers to their homes, so there was quite a bit of driving in Niamey....with pedestrians, bicycles, and animals added to the general confusion of driving down streets whose street lights don't work!  Our neighbor had made supper for us, but I was too tired to even eat.  I had driven all the way from Galmi to Niamey because John was having problems with his glasses.

All we could do at the end of that day was go to bed praising God for taking care of us and protecting us.  Monday morning saw John out buying a new battery for the car!


Beth said…
Wow!...That literally was a terrible place to have to shade at all. I see the blog renovation is underway..looking good!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…