Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April Photo Challenge, day 13: how I feel

Even though I'm an introvert, I'm not a very introspective introvert.  In other words, I'm fairly quiet, and definitely not the life of the party.  I enjoy people and I'm not afraid of people, but being with people a lot exhausts me.  I need to be alone to re-energize.  But, even though it's a common trait amongst introverts, I'm not really introspective.  I don't spend a lot of time looking inward, getting in touch with my feelings and so on.  I have a pretty steady and placid temperament and most of the time I'm ok.

I do have bad days and certain things do get me in a bad mood.  Unkindness, especially if it seems intentional, gets me down.  Cold and dark on a constant basis gets me down.  Sometimes I feel lonely and sometimes I wonder if what I'm doing really matters.

While in Niger, I think we're all aware that we're under stress, but I don't realize just how much stress until I get to a place where I'm not so hot I can't think straight, where the internet works at lightning speed, when the lights come on at a flip of the switch, and where I don't have as many responsibilities.  Then I realize, wow, I was stressed!

So, do you think today's rain and cold got me down? Nope!  It was a refreshing break after seven months and counting of almost no rain.  It was a welcome sight after seven months of either sun or dust.  Would constant rain get me down?  You bet, especially if it's cold.

But, that's why we have tea and bourbon biscuits!  Seriously, though, if all I had to get me through hard times was tea and cookies, I'd be in a sorry mess.  Thankfully I have the Lord, who is a personal friend who really cares!  "I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD." (Psalm 40:1-3)

1 comment:

podso said...

Wonderful pictures!