Skip to main content

How I Saw God Today

Every January all of our missionaries here in the country get together for Spiritual Life Conference.  We have a guest speaker who brings about two messages a day, except one day that is just a "down" day.  On that day we have a prayer breakfast, team reports, an open forum, sports, seminars, and in the evening a fun/skit night.

This year John was heavily involved with the worship sessions for conference.  He has been involved almost every year we've been here, but this year all of the planning and leading fell to him. He had a great worship team working with him and it was fantastic to see young people taking part in the worship. He did such a superb job and most of all God was glorified in the music.

The prayer breakfast was really nice, too.  Some of the ladies had made special decorations .... out of newspaper.  How creative is that?!   As one of the single guys said, "It looks like a wedding in here!"  The men have their own prayer breakfast and theirs is all about the food.  But we have food AND decorations!  We spent a good amount of time in prayer as well.
  
Skit night was probably not as funny as some years....but it was still pretty good.  Some of the younger missionaries talked many of the ladies into participating in a flash mob.  In the middle of some announcement the theme song on Slumdog started playing.  One lady stood up and looked around like, "What in the world is going on here?!"  Then two others stood up and started dancing and the first joined in.  Little by little we all stood up and started dancing.  It was a hoot and I think the men were left speechless.  I'm told one husband's response was simply, "Unbelievable". We're hoping that a missionary who just went on home assignment will be able to post the video on You Tube....the internet here has been so bad lately that there's no chance of doing it from here.  Check out the full story here.  And, no, I don't have any pictures.  I was too busy trying to get my moves right.


As I mentioned we had some great messages.  One day the speaker spoke about miracles.  His definition of miracle is something that only God could do.  We get so used to a miracle having to be something huge and amazing like a person being healed from a terrible disease, but in reality a miracle might be something we often pass off as a "coincidence".  How often does God orchestrate events in ways only He could do and we are not even aware of it.


After the message we met in small groups and discussed the message. Our group talked about how often God does something and we don't even see it.  It's not huge or "amazing" and we forget to look and we aren't even aware.  So one of the things I am trying to do this year is write in my journal each day (well, every day that I write) a way that I saw God today.  I call it "How I Saw God Today".  Some days it is something pretty big like using the current climate here to rearrange our plans for a certain missionary to put him in a different place, the place where, I believe, God wants him.  Other days it's something "small" like noticing the gorgeous bougainvillea that pour over many of the walls on our street in a profusion of pink, purple, white, yellow, and orange.
Our street on a very dusty day!


I would not base my theology on most country music,  but I love the words to one of George Strait's songs:
I saw God today.
I've been to church, I've read the Book,
I know He's here, but I don't look
Near as often as I should.
His fingerprints are everywhere
If I just slow down to stop and stare,
Open my eyes, and, man, I swear,
I saw God today.

How have you seen God today? 
Have you really looked?

Comments

podso said…
This is so nice to see and read! And I think I spotted Tim K?? (first photo)
Dusty Penguin said…
I can't wait to see the video. I would have loved to be part of that! Sounds like it was great fun!
Awesome! I like so much these special decorations .... out of newspaper.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…