Sunday, February 19, 2012

Celebrating John's Birthday

Internet continues to be a struggle here.  During this past week I have probably averaged answering three emails a day before the internet dies.  I don't think we even got a connection on Thursday or Friday.  It always seems a little better on the weekend, though it isn't great.  So will it work tomorrow at the office?  If not, I always have quilting to do at home!  Thankfully we are in a slow time of year in the Personnel office!
John's birthday was January 29th and we had a three day celebration, of sorts.  Our small prayer group meets the last Friday of the month, so I took a carrot cake to share with the group in honor of John's birthday.  Then Saturday evening we had friends over to share John's birthday.  I can't remember what I made for supper, but it must have been one of John's favorites.  For his birthday "cake", I made a cheesecake. It was the first day I had seen strawberries for sale in the market (we have about a six week strawberry season), so I splurged and made a strawberry topping for the cheesecake.  The cheesecake turned out perfectly!  Then the 29th, Sunday, was his actual birthday.  So after church we had a nice dinner and I gave John his gifts.
  
I splurged and got John a handful of grapes I found in the market.  While cheaper out on the street than they would have been in the store, they were still a splurge at about $4.00 a pound!  He got a handful, not a pound of them!  I also bought him a really cool book called Niamey 360+ (that's supposed to be degrees). It is a book of aerial shots of Niamey.  Most of them are current, but thrown in are shots of Niamey from the 60's and 70's.  It's a fascinating book.  If you know John, you know how much he is enjoying looking through the book.

I'm so thankful for my husband and for all he does for me, for his faithfulness to the Lord and to our marriage, for his kindness, for his discipline, and so many other things.  Here is one of the things he's done for me recently.  He planted cilantro and parsley right outside our kitchen door.  All I need to do is step outside and pluck fresh herbs for when I'm cooking.  He also has tomatoes growing and we will soon have a bumper harvest of fresh, organic tomatoes!  


Celebrating John's birthday was just one small way of saying thanks to him for all he is and for all he does.  I am blessed.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

happy birthday John (late!). You reminded me of buying grapes as a treat when we were in Niger! The things I've forgotten!

podso said...

Nancy, great post. I hope your internet gets better. I understand the strawberry and grape splurge. Your photos are great ... did you get a new camera?