Skip to main content

Christmas 2011

It's been awhile since I did a blog!  First I was really busy getting ready for all the people who arrived between December 27 and January 1st.  Then we had our conference from January 4-8.  And then we had no internet for a week.  I never had a chance to write about our Christmas, so I'll do that now.

I got back from the US on December 20, so the next day John and I decorated for Christmas.  Here's our little tree aka the bush.  But I like our little tree!  John and I got a little tree for our first Christmas because we didn't have a lot of money and because we thought it would be easier to bring a little tree to Africa than a big one.  Then when we moved to the "village", we decided we didn't want to have a big tree that attracted a lot of attention.  As we established a church we didn't want to do anything that new believers would think they had to do, such as have a Christmas tree.  It's normal here to decorate your house for holidays, so our decorations were understood as making our house nice for our holiday.  But we just didn't want the focus to be on the tree.  So to this day we have a small tree.  (I've got nothing against big trees...this has just been our personal choice. And when we're in the US, we almost always buy a real tree.  And I love going to people's houses who have lots of decorations!)  We try to keep our decorations simple, too.  This is a small creche scene I picked up at the dollar store, but I really like it!

On Christmas Eve John and I had our traditional Christmas Eve supper.....curry, the way my dad makes it with tons of chopped up fruit, nuts, boiled eggs, etc. to go with it.  I also made sticky buns which we had Christmas morning for breakfast.
Here Christmas is spent at church with believers AND this year was also Sunday.  So we went to church!  It was a great service, full of joy and celebration.  The walls, ceiling fans, and even the guitars were decorated. The choir had several special numbers. Each Sunday School class came up and sang songs and recited verses. Some of these verses were really complicated, too. These itty-bitty kids speak better French than I do! Of course, the little guys stole the show like they do at churches all over the world. Our neighbor kids even recited verses in French. I was  proud of them so I'm sure their parents were extra proud! The oldest Sunday school group did a skit. And the ladies' group sang, too. The white blurs are hankies and kleenex being waved around.  Why, I'm not really sure. I have been attending meetings, but missed for a month so since I wasn't there when they practiced I didn't participate in this special number.  And, of course, there was a message.


The service was followed by a meal.  I didn't get any pictures of that because I was too busy eating!


Later in the evening we went to a friend's house for a potluck supper.
And on the 26th we opened our gifts.
And that was our Christmas!

And,yes, we missed our kids.  Immensely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …