Skip to main content

Update on Suzanne

As you know, we made a sudden decision for me to go to the USA to visit Suzanne.  She had been sick for over two months.  During that time she had some weeks of feeling better, but after the 2nd time of feeling really good, she felt sick again.  By then she was really discouraged and we felt like some time with Mom might help her get over it.

By the time I got there she was starting to feel some better, but complained about nausea in the evenings.  She was still taking anti-nausea medicine as well.  Gradually she started feeling better.  During my time there, she moved out of the dorm and over to my parents' house where I think she is eating better and more regularly which, ironic as it may seem, helps the nausea.

So what was wrong with her?  We really don't know.  So many people have suggested different things.  Early on she was given a treatment for giardia which actually seemed to help a bit.  But as it kills off the bad bacteria in your digestive system, it also kills off the good critters that contribute to a healthy digestive system.  So, it's very possible that it made her better, but got her system all out of whack.  She was tested for all sorts of other things and all tests were negative.  We even had her room tested for mold and CO, but both of those were negative as well.  However, she and her roommate did have Glade Plug-ins in the room which gave off a really strong odor.  They were making me feel weird when I was in there, so I have no doubt that, while they probably didn't cause the nausea, they contributed to it.  After all, they are shooting chemicals into the air and that can't possibly be good for you.  For an excellent article on the dangers of air fresheners, read this article.

At any rate, we are so thankful to God for giving her better health and we are praying that she is really, truly over it.  She has lost a lot of weight and is really thin and needs to gain back some weight to fit into her wedding dress that was ordered 15 pounds ago.  

So what did we do while I was in the USA?
I helped Suzanne and Theo make their wedding invitations (still a work in progress). Suz created this idea herself and they are really nice invitations!

We spent time perusing Pinterest and made scarves from an idea we got on Pinterest.  We even made one for the cat, but she was not at all appreciative of her gift.
 
We went up to Michigan to visit Theo's family and for her to show me her wedding dress (nope!  no pictures of that!!  You'll have to come to the wedding to see that!).  OK, here's one little sneak peek. 

Suz went to school every day and I did my personnel work remotely.  I helped her study for an exam.  I also had some time to get started on making a quilt for Suz and Theo.  I found out what colors Daniel and Kelly like and will make one for them, too.

Suz, Theo, and I went to the insurance office at Cedarville and started the process of figuring out what our insurance, and what Cedarville's insurance will pay and then how much we will owe.  It's quite complicated, but Cedarville's insurance lady really knows her business.
One night we went to Campus Christmas.  I got to hang out with Suzanne and some of her friends during Open Dorm night. A lot of the halls or units go all decorating on a theme.  The best men's and the best women's hall or unit wins gift certificates to a restaurant.  Theo's unit decorated as a spa. Personally, I thought theirs was one of the best!
We went shopping together.  Not much though, because Suzanne was so busy with school.  But that's OK.  I get tired of shopping in a big hurry.....but not of spending time with Suzanne.


I cooked most of the meals while I was home, trying to tempt Suzanne with stuff I knew she'd like.


And one weekend she, Theo, Kelly and I went to spend time with Daniel in Washington, DC.  We had a blast, but I'll save that for the next blog!


And might I mention that, in spite of being miserable for over two months she managed to pull off a 3.9 GPA?


Saying good-bye was hard.  It always is.  Coming back to John was good.  I just wish we could all live in the same town together, have Sunday dinner together every week, continue to be a family.....Us, Suz & Theo, Daniel & Kelly, our parents, our siblings.  Maybe that's why we long so much for heaven.  For an excellent post on saying goodbye, read Suzanne's blog here.

Comments

Heather said…
I'm so glad Suzanne is feeling better. Praising God for His watchcare over you while you were in the States.
Beth said…
Thanks for the update on Suzanne. I am so glad she is feeling better! I am amazed by the way God enabled her even through this difficult time of sickness to maintain that GPA. He is good!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…