Skip to main content

Enjoying our "Staycation"

John has been working non-stop on his doctoral studies for over a year now.  And while we were in Maryland he taught nearly a full load at the Bible College.  So I told him that when he got back from England he had to take 10 days off with absolutely no work being done on his doctorate.  

Not only has he been working so hard, but we also return to Niger the end of this month.  So we want to be rested up as we know we'll hit the ground running once we get there.

We are just staying home since we live in a beautiful restful place, don't have money to travel or stay anywhere else, and John doesn't feel like doing more traveling right now.  So we've planned out some fun things to do around here.  

On Saturday we walked around Lake Scranton.  It's a 3.5 trail, and I didn't feel like taking my camera with me.  Here is an old postcard of Lake Scranton.  While I walked around, John ran.  Then he started around a 2nd time, but when he caught up to me he walked the rest of the way with me.

Saturday evening we went to a barbecue restaurant in a town near us.  They only serve on weekends and this is their busiest weekend.  We had to stand in line quite a while, but it was well worth the wait.  If you're ever in Hamlin, PA on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night in the summer and need a good place to go, this is the place.  (I did not take this picture.  It was WAY more crowded than this the night we were there.)


Sunday we just went to church and took it easy all afternoon.  Later in the afternoon some friends of ours came over, bringing some delicious dessert with them.  I had apple crisp and strawberry shortcake for supper!

Today was the 4th of July, so we had to go on a picnic, of course!  We went to Promised Land State Park.  There were tons and tons of people there, but we didn't have any problems at all finding a table.  Then we took our chairs near the lake and just read for a couple of hours.  I'm reading Radical by David Platt.  It's got so much good stuff in it, I'm taking notes as I go.  Here's John catching up on one of his news magazines.  We didn't go swimming because there were too many people crowded into the small swimming/beach section.  We thought of doing the paddle boats, but they were pretty expensive.  So we just sat and relaxed, something neither of us do much of.


I hope you had a fun and relaxing 4th of July (ahem, for my American readers, anyway!). 

Comments

Will you visiting Niger or staying? How do you like Radical? I liked it a lot. It sounds like you had a nice 4th.
podso said…
We did Radical for an all church book club. And you are in Gary's home turf right now, though I didn't know there was a Lake Scranton (he actually grew up right on the Delaware, near Milford). Glad you are having a restful time; I love staycations!

I have a coin very similar to the one you show, with the hole in it, that Maxine Bates gave me when I was five!I think you might know her name.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …