Skip to main content

Azaleas

My favorite spring flowers are lilacs.  But after having spent a spring in Maryland, I'd have to say azaleas run a close second now!  They are everywhere down here and in every color imaginable:  red, pink, coral, purple, yellow, and white.  OK, not black or green.
There are a whole lot of them in the woods outside our apartment and we can see them as we eat at our table. I have no idea if they grow wild or if somebody planted them there.  Then on the campus here (Washington Bible College & Capital Bible Seminary) there is a prayer garden with benches and nothing but azaleas.  One morning I took my Bible and notebooks out there and had my devotions there.
  
John and I went out with the camera and tripod and took pictures of ourselves in the prayer garden.  I love this pictures and hope you enjoy them, too! 
When I see the beauty of the azaleas, I am struck by the awesomeness of our Creator God.  How could so many colors have "just happened"?  And what big bang could have produced the intricacies of a flower with its petals and stamens?  And how could it have just happened that bumble bees (who in and of themselves are an aero-dynamic impossibility) could know that they could use pollen to make honey?  And how do they turn pollen into honey, anyway? I think God is pretty amazing to have made all this beauty, to make it provide food for bees, and to encourage us when we see such glory around us.

And a year from now when I'm back in Niger and am too hot to even breathe, I want to look at these pictures and remember God's glory!

Comments

podso said…
Beautiful pictures of such color! And a great shot of you and John, also colorful. Can't believe your time here is nearly over and you'll be heading back!
The colors are breathtaking! What a beautiful backdrop! I hope that you are doing well?

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…