Skip to main content

The Old, the New, and the Faithful

It's hard getting rid of old things that have meant a lot to you.  Even though you don't use those things any more and even though you probably never will again, they hold so many memories.  Other things are still useful, but need to be passed on.  John and I have been sorting through our stuff that's stored in the attic.  We have thrown, thrown, thrown.  As John says, it feels like we've lost half our life.
One important thing I've passed on are the Christmas stockings I made for Daniel and Suzanne when they were little. I enjoyed our Christmas with Daniel and Suzanne so much, but at the same time it was difficult to think that this will be the last Christmas with them for awhile.  We are truly moving into the empty nest era.  It's not easy, let me tell you.  As much as I am proud of my kids and who they are and as much as I want to see them succeed, I also don't want them to leave.  I cross-stitched these when the kids were toddlers.  I made one for John, too.  Now they can have them to hang in their own places when they get one.  We're all feeling a bit displaced right now.  Change isn't always bad, but it is often difficult!

When we cleaned out the attic, a lot of the stuff we got rid of was really just junk....old cards and whatnot.  But by old doll baby is there, too. I can't decide if I want to keep her in storage or try to sell her on e-bay.  She was given to me when I was about six by another girl who had played with her and outgrown her.  I got her in about 1967 and the girl who gave her to me was then a teenager.  So I'm guessing the doll's original "birth date" was in the early 60's.  I called her Rosie Anne and loved her dearly.  She is even missing a bit of her thumb when I stuck her hand in a rabbit cage to pet a rabbit.  The rabbit decided to have a bit of doll for lunch.  The funny thing is, I was so scared because I thought the rabbit would die from eating doll and I would get blamed for killing the poor bunny.  Suzanne played with her, too, but now she just lies packed away in a box.  So, what do you think?  Keep or sell?


Thankfully, there are new things, too.  Suzanne and I got these new shoes from an organization called Toms.  The shoes seemed a bit expensive to me, but when you buy a pair you are really buying two pairs because for every pair you buy, one pair is given to a child in need.  Suzanne and I both loved these because they have baobab trees on them and the 2nd pair of shoes was specifically going to a child in Africa.  She didn't mind that I wanted the same kind she got.  They are so comfortable and I've already been wearing them a lot.


And we have a lot of old friends, too.  Maybe I shouldn't say old because we aren't thinking of getting rid of them!  Maybe faithful would be a better word.  Faithful and maybe comfortable like a good pair of shoes.  We have a group of friends around the world who have "gone" with us to Niger by faithfully supporting us and/or praying for us.  We decided to invite friends in Connecticut who pray for and who financially support us to a little party.  Sunday afternoon about 40 people dropped in for some snacks and to see our power point.  It was a great time to get together with them and let them know how much we appreciate them.


This has been kind of a random post....just some of the things we've done and the emotions we've felt in the past week.  Transitions are difficult, but thank God for friends!

Comments

podso said…
Wow Nancy your pictures are wonderful--enjoyed seeing the Washington ones. I know what you are going through as we are doing this with my mother's things right now. It is hard to let go of things filled with memories. The doll ... sigh ... I wonder if a granddaughter in the future would appreciate playing with her? My mother still has the doll she had as a girl and it has sat in a special place in my parents' home as long as I can remember. But it has one of those porcelin painted faces--truly an antique. It is being passed on now to my sister. Lots of decisions you have facing you.
Amanda said…
I agree about the doll, keep her for any future grandchildren, its nice to have things like that passed on. If in doubt, don't.
Anonymous said…
KEEP THE DOLL!!!!!!!
Seriously, think of the future Grandchildren! I would have LOVED to have a doll to give Chloe that used to be belong Grandma!

The Toms are very cool, I want to go and look at the site right now!

I can't wait for this weekend!

Love, JO
Dusty Penguin said…
Definitely keep the doll. As one who has moved often and pared my life memories box down to one rubbermaid container, I say keep the doll. I still have my Joanne. I remember the rabbit incident so well! Where do you buy Tom's? It is worth it not only because they are giving a pair away, but worth it if you can find shoes that are comfy! I've never seen or tried any. What about arch/support? They always look flat in pictures?
When we left NY I went from 6 file drawers to one! With the internet there's no need to save all the articles, class notes, etc. that we used to save. But it was fun looking through everything one last time.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …