Skip to main content

They Forgot Jesus

Christmas.....such a great time of year and I am really enjoying it.....
.....Daniel and Suzanne are both home.

.....It snowed a little on Thursday, so now it looks like Christmas (even though the snow is mostly gone now).

 .....We got our Christmas tree and decorated it.

.....We drove through the neighborhood and looked at Christmas lights.  This one was ridiculously lit up with a ton of JUNK.  I'd hate to be the one paying their December electric bill!  We also went to the Winter Festival of Lights in Prince George's County at the Watkins Regional Park.  They had lights in every shape and form and some of them were pretty cool.  There were candy canes, a Santa shooting hoops (this one appeared to move with Santa's feet on the floor and then dunking the ball), deer (my favorite one), a Maryland crab, and even a rock and roll band.

But as we drove through the park, we remarked that there was no Jesus.  No nativity.  No remembrance of what Christmas is REALLY about.  Christmas is really about Jesus' birth.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Sure we enjoy the lights, the tree, the gifts, but those all have symbolism in the the true meaning of Christmas.  But what does a Maryland crab, a rock and roll band, and high electric bills have to do with the true meaning of Christmas?


I'll tell you what the true meaning of Christmas is.  It's a program our church had called Feed the 500.  It's over 100 people from our church, New Song Bible Fellowship Church, coming together at 5:30 Saturday morning to unload 900 boxes of food from a semi truck to distribute to people in difficult economic situations.  It wasn't easy getting up that early and going out in the bitter cold, but Jesus said when we feed the hungry, we are feeding Him, so that made it worth it.  Daniel and John joined a group of men outside at the truck, offloading the boxes.  400 of them went on to another truck to go to a church in Annapolis and 500 of them were brought inside our church.  Inside, Suzanne and I helped a group of ladies unpack boxes of milk, rice, pancake mix, and eggs and put one of each into a grocery bag.  We left around 9:30, but throughout the day a constant stream of people worked to welcome the families who came to get boxes of food.  Each box, which were purchased from the AngelFood Ministries to be donated to families in need, contains enough groceries for three people for one week.  As families came in they were welcomed, given a warm drink, then ushered into the sanctuary where they heard the gospel message, could have their blood pressure checked, and could have somebody pray with them if they desired.  Then they moved down the hall to receive their box of food.  If they didn't want to participate in the activities in the sanctuary, they didn't have to.  Nothing was forced on anybody.  The sole purpose was to show the love of Christ and give opportunities for people to hear the gospel.  Many people who came to receive food would not otherwise come into a church.


Christmas is also remembering that CHRIST came as the Messiah.  What a fantastic church service we had yesterday, remembering that "unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  
....Wonderful.  EVERYTHING Jesus did caused wonder and awe.
....Counselor.  Christ is God's Counselor.  He is the only One who can be in counsel with God.  We like to think we can tell God what He should do, but Christ is really the only One who God listens to for counsel.  And He counsels us how to act and behave as well.  He wants us to spend time with Him, love on Him, and sit at His feet listening to His advice.  With a Counselor like this, why do we act so confused and upset so much of the time???!!
....Mighty God.  We should fall at His feet!
....Everlasting Father.  He is the Man who abides forever, the Father of the future age, and the Father of eternity.
....Prince of Peace.  He removes all peace-disturbing powers.  Nothing outside of Jesus can give you peace.


When I looked through my pictures of the Christmas lights, this was at the end. I have no idea how or when I took a picture of nothing.  But with out Jesus, that's what Christmas is.  NOTHING.  Emptiness. 
 

Comments

Wonderful post and so very needed. I hope you are well and that you have a Merry CHRISTmas! Hugs, Georgene
Mommy Becoming said…
Lovely post. Thank you!
Dusty Penguin said…
Wonderful blog. Love the cardinal picture. I wish we could find a church like yours. Appreciated the thoughts about Christmas.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …