Skip to main content

The Year for Weddings

So far in 2010 we have been to six weddings.  We could have attended a total of 9 weddings, but we couldn't because they were on the same date as another one we were already going to.  And one of those was also in Australia, so that was kind of out.

The first wedding was on New Years' Day.  What a way to start the year....it was just a precursor of things to come!  That wedding was in Alabama and was the wedding of Daniel, a guy who had come to Niger to teach math.  We had "adopted" him while he was in Niger.  His wedding turned into a mini Sahel Academy reunion.

The second wedding we attended was our neighbor girl's.  On our last home assignment this family, missionaries to Mexico, had also lived at Missionary Retreat Fellowship.  Every day she, Daniel, Suzanne, and another girl rode the bus to the local public school.  We were delighted when we came on home assignment this time that that family was also there again!  Abby and her husband, Ben, are both students at Cedarville University, so we get to see them quite often, either in Pennsylvania or in Ohio. 

The third wedding was another one of our "adopted" sons.  Jeremy had lived with us in Niger for six months and really became part of the family.  We drove to Michigan for his wedding. Jeremy and Julianna had so many unique aspects to their wedding, but I've already done a blog on that.  One of my favorite parts, though, that I've never seen at any other wedding, was how they had communion.  While they were doing communion and worshiping God together Julianna's ballerina friends danced.  It was a very moving moment.


The fourth wedding was a girl from our church in Pennsylvania who is also a student at Cedarville.  She and Daniel and Suzanne and Abby, mentioned above, all went to high school together that year we were home and were involved in the youth group.  The lighting at Kelly's wedding was such that it was hard to get any good pictures, so I apologize for the quality of this photo. One of the cool things at Kelly's wedding was that her and Chris' kiss was their first kiss ever.


The 5th wedding was of John's nephew, Levi.  Levi and Shannon are so perfect together and we love how they had already been raising support with Campus Crusade, got married, went on their honeymoon, and jumped right into ministry together. I've also done a blog on their wedding.


And the 6th wedding was of my niece, Erika.  Next week I will give you more details as to why their wedding was unique.  Just let me say that I love it when there is enough tradition in a wedding to keep it from being weird, but enough of the individual couple in the wedding to make it uniquely theirs.  Erika and Nate's wedding was very much that way....traditional yet unique.  I've finished editing their pictures and hope to have them sent off to Erika next week.  So next week I promise to tell you all about their wedding and share more pictures with you.  As I said, I want them to have a chance to enjoy the pictures first.


It's November now and unless somebody pops a surprise wedding between now and December 31st I think we're done for the year!  So far we have one lined up for 2011....another one of our "adopted" sons.  I can't wait!

Comments

Heather said…
Thanks for sharing your "year for weddings." How precious that you have several "adopted" children and that you are able to participate in one of the most special days of their lives!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …