Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Weekend

We left Maryland Wednesday afternoon to head north to Connecticut.  We had to keep reminding ourselves that the destination was worth fighting the traffic of the DC area, Baltimore, and Harrisburg.  What should have been an eight hour trip took ten.  But we figured that was pretty good for the day before Thanksgiving.  There were times we were going five miles an hour, but we were never stuck for long periods of time.

The day of Thanksgiving there is always a big race in Manchester.  But you'll have to read John's blog that he'll be doing sometime this week to find out all about that.  I'll just say, I don't know how they keep from tripping over each other!

The best part of Thanksgiving was that Daniel's girlfriend, Kelly got to come and Suzanne's boyfriend, Theo, also came.  We enjoyed spending time with them and getting to know them better, but, in all likelihood this was the last Thanksgiving we'll spend with them for quite awhile.  As you can guess, it was a bitter-sweet day.  I try to enjoy the day and not think into the future.  It was so cold the morning of the race that the two boys wore Grandma's hats.  I told them if they wore them with confidence everybody would just think it was their personal style.  I think they look great, don't you (and the girls, too, of course!)?  While we were in Connecticut we bought ourselves a new house.  Ha!  Ha!  Don't we wish?!

Of course, the best part of Thanksgiving Day was spending it with extended family at John's brother's house.  There were 26 people and 16 pies.  That's more than half a pie per person!  Personally, I sampled the chocolate, the pecan, the pumpkin, and the blueberry (not all in one day, though).  Here's Daniel and his cousin..."One for me, one for you..."  And, oh, the food!  Everything was delicious, but my favorite was a Peurto Rican style roast pork.  Wow.  It was superb.
On Friday and Saturday we just hung out, played games, went to the mall, did some work/studying, and went back to John's brother's house to help eat the leftovers.  While there we helped them decorate their Christmas tree.

The trip home only took us 8 hours and 30 minutes of that was crawling through a construction zone in Scranton.  Now Suzanne will be home in less than three weeks and Daniel in two.  I'm already looking forward to Christmas!


It looks like a very special day! I'm so glad you had a good time!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…