Skip to main content

Nightmares and Weddings

Several months ago my sister asked me if I would take the pictures for her daughter Erika's wedding.  We both know I'm by no means a professional photographer but she said she likes my pictures as well as many professional ones she's seen. I also thought it would be a lot of fun.  At that moment I felt a little more confident than I did the more I thought about it and the closer we got to the date.

At one point I even had a crazy nightmare about it.  It was one of those dreams where you wish you could wake up so it would go away.  But I did wake up several times and then as soon as I went back to sleep, the dream would come right back!  Here's how it went.


The wedding guests were seated, but the bridal party hadn't come in yet.  I started taking pictures when I realized the batteries in my camera had died and I didn't have any spares.  I went out, wandering all over downtown Xenia, looking for batteries.  None of the stores had batteries, but they all had people in them who wanted to stand around and chat.  Somehow Daniel was with me and I told him several times to go back and take some pictures for me.  I don't know what he was supposed to take pictures with!  And Daniel's picture taking skills.....well, we won't go there.


I relaxed a bit though, knowing that Uncle Jerry was also taking pictures with me (in real life that really was a relief!).  But when I got back to the chapel, Uncle Jerry was no where to be found.  I also realized I hadn't ever bought the new camera I wanted and I didn't have a tripod.  I started taking pictures, anyway, but I felt too awkward to go to the front so I was trying to take pictures from way back in the church.


Somehow the wedding turned into a baby dedication.  Don't ask me!  Dreams don't always make sense!  Then there was a big disturbance in the back of the church and Erika and Nate went running  to the back to see what was happening.  That was more or less the end of the wedding.  Were they really married?  Who knows!


Then Erika and Nate ran off and we never got any portraits.  I followed them to this place that was like a guest house somewhere in the Swiss Alps.  Erika came out dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.  I was really upset because I wanted to take pictures with her in her dress.  Then I needed to get dressed for the reception.  I have no idea why I couldn't wear what I had worn to the wedding!  I was pulling stuff out of my suitcase and I couldn't find a thing to wear.  I had slacks or skirts, but no shirts that matched....or shirts, but nothing to go with them.  I finally had to borrow something from my sister to wear.  By then I had missed all the good shots at the reception.  I was so glad to wake up from that dream!


Thankfully, none of that nightmare came true!  The wedding went really, really well.  On Thursday Erika, her sister Alesha, Suzanne, and I went out for a bridal photo shoot.  We had a list of places to go, but not a lot of time, so we went first to Erika's first choice which was the covered bridge.  The pictures turned out amazing.  I'm not posting any of the really good ones here as I want the bride to see them first.  We had so much fun and Erika is so beautiful and photogenic.  We decided that we are going to start a family business with my sister Natalie being the wedding organizer/planner, Alesha will pose the photos, and Suz and I will be the photographers.


Later that afternoon we decorated their church for the reception.  It had been a restaurant back in the day, but even so, we had a hard time setting up enough tables to seat all the expected guests.  When we first walked in, it looked hopeless that we would ever be able to make it look nice. Natalie had bought a lot of brass candlestick holders and mirrors at thrift stores and we decorated with them.  It turned out really pretty.

Friday we decorated Collier Chapel at the Legacy Center where the wedding was to take place.  Again, Natalie made it look really, really nice.  We had the rehearsal there and then had the supper in the guest house at the Legacy Center where we were all staying. Supper was followed by games and then a really nice devotional time.

Saturday morning I got to go with the bride and her attendants, mom, and mom-in-law to the salon where they all had their hair and make-up done. That was a lot of fun.  All the girls looked so beautiful!

The wedding was a lot of fun, was beautiful, and was glorifying to God.  Nate and Erika are really into Renaissance Festivals, so their wedding had a renaissance feel to it.  Nate wore a kilt, the guys wore Highlander shirts and dress pants, and the girls wore tailor-made renaissance-style dresses (what an amazing seamstress!...this was the first wedding she's done as she's just starting her business).  They had a hand-fasting, and a sash-tying, Erika's dad Duane talked about their purity rings, Erika's grandfather (my dad) performed the ceremony and gave them a blessing, and my Uncle Dave played the bagpipes.  Of course, they had all the "normal" things too, such as a message, exchange of vows, rings, and THE KISS. Like I said, I'm not posting many pictures as I want the bride to see them first.  

I'm so glad nothing in my dream came true! 

Comments

Dusty Penguin said…
You did such a wonderful job! Thank you!
podso said…
Your nightmare actually happened at my sister's wedding. Your pictures look wonderful --you did a super job and the business proposal sounds great!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…