Monday, October 04, 2010

Making Modeling Dough

Daniel (when he's in Ohio and not in DC) and Suzanne attend an inner-city church in Dayton, OH.  Suzanne teaches Sunday School there, which she loves.  But the church doesn't have much of a budget to buy extras such as toys and Pl*y-Dough.  A friend gave us a recipe for modeling dough, so on Saturday I made this dough for Suzanne and her Sunday School kids.

The ingredients are things that I already had in my pantry:  flour, oil, salt, cream of tartar (I did have to run to the store to replenish my supply on that one), and food coloring. 


You mix it all in a pan, then cook it over medium heat.  As it cooks it thickens and pulls away from the side of the pan.  The next step is to knead it until it is cool.  That's all there is to it.  I made red (which is really pink), blue, green, and yellow.  The pink was my first batch and it is really sticky.  I don't think I cooked it long enough.  In fact, I left all the containers open over the weekend and now they all seem sticky.  I've put them in the fridge to see if that will help.  I hope all my hard (and fun) work is not in vain!  Any body know what to do with sticky modeling dough?  


The recipe I used is:
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
Food coloring


In typing this recipe I realized I didn't use enough salt.  Maybe I can knead in more salt and see if that solves the stickiness problem?  I don't want to just throw this out.  It looks and feels like the real thing!  And I really want these kids to enjoy rolling, twisting, squeezing, and shaping this dough. 




 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I just add more flour if its sticky. It seems to work.

You can make no-cook playdough too and also microwave playdough. I've found these recipies much easier. You'd have to google it.