Skip to main content

Splagchnizomai

Sounds like some strange, deadly tropical disease, doesn't it?

Well, it's not a disease....in fact, it's an emotion.  More than that, it's an action.  But it does have something to do with your stomach!

I've been reading through Isaiah and today's reading (actually yesterday and today....I didn't read yesterday and had two days to do today) had one wonderful verse after another.  God is warning His people that if they don't repent, He will have to punish them to bring them to their senses.  But He doesn't want to do that and so He begs them to repent.  The Lord says that his
"people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.  Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men." (Isaiah 29:13)  
He begs them to repent saying, "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." (Isaiah 30:15)  
"Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.  For the Lord is a God of justice.  Blessed are all who wait for him!" (Isaiah 30:18)
"How gracious he will be when you cry for help!  as soon as he hears, he will answer you." (Isaiah 30:21)


The word and the concept here that really grabbed me is "compassion".  Reading these verses took me back to a message I heard back in January in which the meaning of the word compassion struck me like it never had before.  George Murray, the chancellor of CIU, was speaking at Cedarville University's missions conference.  He was speaking on Matthew 9:36, which says, "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd."


Mr. Murray explained how the word translated compassion  is "splagchnizomai" in Greek.  Now, not being a Greek scholar, that means little to me.  But it means that it is a physical pain that hits you right in the gut.


Having spent time in Africa, I know what it is like to feel physical pain in your gut.  Anybody who has had a good case of amoebas or giardia knows what I'm talking about!  Sometimes that pain hits you so hard, you just double over with it.  Grabbing your stomach, you make a run for the bathroom.


Or imagine how you feel when you're scared out of your mind.  It hits you right in the stomach, doesn't it, sometimes making you literally sick to your stomach.


This is what Jesus felt when he saw the crowds of people and had compassion on them. It is what God felt when he begged the people to repent and that he would forgive them.  It is what God felt when He sent His Son so we could find true repentance.  The word picture here is like somebody punched Jesus in the gut and he was bent double with the pain. (Note: I wish I could give credit to the artist of this beautiful picture....I found it on the internet, but with no explanation of origin).


I wondered if today's meaning of compassion differs from the sense of the word splagchnizomai, so I looked it up.  The dictionary says it is "a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering."  Well, I wouldn't say it is as strong as splagchnizomai  but it does give the idea of a strong desire to do something about it.

The definition in Wikipedia was much more helpful.  It said that the original meaning of the word was "to suffer with".  It also said that an individual's compassion is "often given a property of 'depth', 'vigour', or 'passion'".  The idea is that it isn't just an emotion that you feel, but it is an emotion of feeling the same pain somebody else is experiencing and then doing something about it.

So, when God felt compassion  on His people, He did something about it.  In the Old Testament, He gave them opportunities to repent and promised to be gracious to them.  He showed His compassion by sending His Son.  
When Jesus felt compassion for the crowds, he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Mt.9:37, 38) He sent His disciples out to spread the Good News!  
He also laid His hands on people and healed the sick (Mt.14:14; 20:34; Mark 1:41;).  
He fed them (Mt. 15:32; Mark 8:2).  
He forgave them (Mt. 18:27).  
He taught them (Mark 6:34).  
He drove out demons (Mark 9:22).  
He comforted the bereaved and raised their dead to life (Luke 7:13).  
He also gave us two stories that demonstrate compassion:  The Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son.

I have felt this kind of compassion for people.  I have looked at them and felt a pain deep inside for what they are going through.  But in Niger, the needs are so great and when you are constantly faced with this gut-wrenching feeling you soon begin to harden yourself so that you don't feel that pain.  Sad to say, but after awhile you can turn from a beggar and not feel anything.  You can go to yet another funeral and not shed a tear.  You can even feel yourself becoming cynical and bitter.

What a reminder from Jesus.  I can't imagine that He ever thought, "This hurts too much.  I'll just ignore these people today."  Lord, help me not to turn from the pain I feel when seeing somebody in need....pain that motivates me to help them.  Help me, instead, to know how to handle the pain, how to act wisely in dealing with it so that I don't burn out from the constant pain I see around me.  Help me to be willing to feed, to clothe, to heal, and most of all, to spread the Good News to those who are as sheep without a shepherd.


In researching splagchnizomai I came across a blog written by a Catholic priest who sums it up so beautifully.  Please take a moment to read this article by the Perpetual Priest.  I do not know who this man is, but I loved this article.

Comments

Dave said…
I came across this post as I was doing some research and saw a painting that actually used to be on our sitting room wall in Uganda! You mentioned that you didn't know the artist.

There is a whole series called Vie de Jesus Mafa, done by an artist from Cameroon, all the scenes from the gospels. You can see them at www.jesusmafa.com

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…