Skip to main content

A Day in DC

We have been living in the DC area for about six weeks and hadn't yet taken time to visit the city.  Finally on Saturday we got a chance to go.  We can take a bus from the college straight to the metro station, but on Saturday the parking lot at the metro station is free, so we just drove down.  We bought tickets and were off.  There was only about two other people in the car on the train we got on.

First we went to the Library of Congress.  John wanted to get a Reader's Card so he can do some of his doctoral research there.  The Library of Congress has several buildings.  This is one of the newer ones and the place where one must obtain the card.  After he got his card he wanted to do some work in the periodicals room, also in that building.  So I went over to the older building...the one you undoubtedly picture in your mind when I mention the Library of Congress.  It is an absolutely beautiful building inside.  I could spend a long time in there just people-watching and enjoy the grandeur of the place. Unfortunately you can only go in the reading room if you have a Reader's Card.  Maybe I will have to get a Reader's Card just so I can go in there!  There was a door you could peek into, but I want to see and smell the books!  


From there I went back outside and found John and then we met Daniel for lunch.  We went to a Thai restaurant for lunch.  I thought it was a bit expensive at $9-something a plate.  But we got tons to eat and it was delicious.  Later on the mall I saw they were selling hotdogs, fries, and a cookie for $11.75 so that made our lunch deal look like money better spent!


After lunch we walked past the capitol and wandered around the mall.  They were having a huge book exposition on the mall...selling books, authors speaking, and book signings by authors.  I only saw two names on the list of authors that I recognized.  We didn't buy anything, but it was fun to wander around.  It was a pretty hot day and I was dehydrated so I finally found a place to buy a $2.00 bottle of water.  Wow, did it taste good!

From there we headed over to the Museum of American History.  Of course, since I was with my two war-history loving men we spent most of our time in the war section:  Revolutionary, Civil War, World Wars I & II, and Vietnam.  I must admit it was very interesting and I even learned some new things.  Then they humored me and we went to see Julia Child's kitchen, also in that museum.  Last of all we visited the transportation section.  We'll have to go back there as we only saw less than 1/3 of the museum.  And I've got to go see the First Ladies' Inaugural Ball gown display.  I've seen it before and definitely want to see it again.  

By then it was time to head home. First we took two very crowded trains back to where Daniel stays so I could get his prescription to refill for him.  Then we headed home.  My feet and back were so tired we just had left-overs for supper! 

Comments

Katie Barker said…
Wow - brings back good memories of when we lived in Baltimore for a year. We traveled down to DC so many times.
I like how you made some of the pictures bigger - they look so crisp!
Dusty Penguin said…
I love DC! I haven't been to some of those places yet. Hopefully we can come visit in the spring.
podso said…
I've been catching up. Looks like you have a nice little nest in Md. and you are missing Niger? The DC photos are great--is that your new camera? (I think you said you got a new one, or was that someone else?) Hope you enjoy this year and John enjoys that library!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …