Skip to main content

Home Tour

I can say we are finally unpacked, pictures on the walls, organized, and getting ourselves into a routine.  It is now time for you to come visit us!  We are only 10 miles from Washington DC.  You can walk to the end of the driveway, catch a bus to the train station, ride the train into DC, save yourself the stress of driving, and have a great time touring our nation's capital (and visiting us!).

Until you come to visit, here is a tour of our house.  This is our front door with the coat closet on the left. 
I just realized the picture has slipped in the matting and the cardboard is showing at the top.  I've got to fix that!  I get a lot of my pictures printed through Snapfish and they gave me a free poster, so I had this picture of my friend's mom made up. 


The front entry goes right into the living room.  This looks a bit funny because of the back of the chair right there.  But we have a very nice fireplace and mantel with floor to ceiling bookshelves beside it. 
We have decorated the living room with our Niger stuff and my elephant collection.  The couch is covered with a hand-woven Songhai blanket.

Also in the living room is my desk.  We have a nice large window where John's keyboard is.  I love to sit in this chair in the morning to have my devos and look out into the woods.

The living room and dining room are an open room. I have a really nice hutch where I can display my Grandma Margie's china. 
The kitchen is not large, but it makes good use of cupboard space.
And I have a dishwasher!!!!!!! One of the really nice features of the kitchen is this pantry,
shown here with the doors open.


Down the hall is the kids' room or the guest room....depends on who shows up first, I guess!
It's an interesting color of green!  It's also kind of our store room.  We have things in the closet and under the bed as you can see.


Across the hall from the kids' room is the "green bathroom".
It's also the laundry room.  It's quite a large room with a sink, shower, toilet, laundry facilities, and an ironing board I don't have to take down whenever I'm done with it.


At the end of the hall is our room.  Our bedspread goes nicely with the picture of the Starrucca Viaduct.  I know it would normally be a living room picture, but it goes well with our bedroom colors. 
John has his own office at the college but he also has a mini office in the corner of our bedroom.


We have a large walk-in closet,
through which you must pass to get to our bathroom.  The "yellow bathroom". 
I'm NOT a fan of yellow, but it's better than having a pink bathroom!


I've been reading the book of Job and came across a verse that I never noticed before.  Job is speaking, longing for the days when things went well and he lived a blessed life.  He says, "Oh for the days...when God's intimate friendship blessed my house."  That is what I want in this place...that God's intimate friendship will bless my house!

Comments

Mommy Becoming said…
Thank you for the tour. I love that you have decorated with all of your African stuff. I especially like your ending line!
I really enjoyed the tour. It looks like a big place! So how will 'you' be spending your days?
Beka said…
thanks for the tour! you know i am always curious about houses! i LOVE your pantry. ian keeps saying he will build me one in the laundry room, i will show him this picture. it looks perfect!!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …