Skip to main content

Last Post As Oxford Tourist

Well, folks, I hope to be heading home on Thursday.  I'm not anticipating any problems.  I just plan on getting to the airport very early to ensure that I do get on my flight.  I'm sure the planes will be jam-packed as they continue to catch up on the back log caused by the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull.  

This past week I finished seeing the colleges I wanted to see and stumbled upon a few I hadn't planned on visiting.  So, Tuesday, I was trying to find my way somewhere and stumbled upon  Keble College. The buildings are quite different from what you see at the other colleges.
As you can see, it was built with brick and there is a pattern in the brickwork made by using different colored bricks.  Continuing along that same road, I stumbled upon Wadham College.  Visitors were not allowed, but you can stand at the doorway and look in.  Wandering through some narrow roadways,
I finally found New College.  New College is anything but new, being over 620 years old!
This was one of my favorite colleges that I have visited.  The chapel was quite nice, but I especially enjoyed the cloisters. 
New College has not only a chapel, the cloisters, classroom buildings, the dining hall, and the students' rooms, but it also has a large garden.  This garden is a bit of a surprise because When you enter the college from the street it just looks like it will be a tiny little place.  The original city walls can be seen in the
garden.  The garden
itself was a beautiful, quiet, peaceful place to walk around.  

From there I had a peek into Queens College, and then on to Merton College.  I am usually pretty good at figuring out maps, but for the life of me I couldn't follow the map for Merton College!  Oh well, I did find my way out so I guess it didn't really matter. 
Here I came across some students playing croquet, quite a common site on college quads here.


On Wednesday I walked way out through a park, through a part of town I'd never been to, back over around the Cherwell River, crossing on the Magdalen Bridge and then I toured
Magdalen College.  (That's pronounced Mawd-lin).  This, of course, was on my "Have to See" list as it was C.S. Lewis'
college. In fact, this building is where he had his rooms.  Again, there were cloisters,
but not as pretty as the ones at New College. The chapel at Magdalen is quite famous as the boys' choir sings from this tower at 6 a.m. every May 1st after the students have spent the entire night before in revelry in the local pubs (kind of glad I WON'T be here!). 
Apparently this is featured in a scene of Shadowlands.  Magdalen College not only has a surprise garden/meadow right there in the middle of the city, but it also has deer in the meadow!  


From there I did some window
shopping, ending up at Whittard of Chelsea, a shop with a large variety of teas, coffees, and hot chocolate.


Thursday my legs were so tired from my six mile walk the day before that I just stayed home!


Friday was an easy day, too.  John went with his class for lunch, so I headed down town to look for some lunch for myself.  I decided to walk through the Open Market. 
Normally they only have market on Wednesday and Thursday, but Friday was an international day.  I bought myself a beautiful pair of earrings, had galette for lunch, and baklava for dessert.   Then I spent some time browsing in Blackwells Bookstore before meeting John at the Pitt Rivers Museum.  The Museum of Natural History is in the same building.
And no, I am NOT saying John is an Oxford Dodo!  The Pitt River Museum contains a lot of fascinating artifacts from all over the world.  This was one of the most fascinating.
LOL!!!!  It was in a display about recycling.  Who ever would have thought a satala would end up in a museum!???!!


On Saturday John and I went on a special date.  We walked along the Thames River walk.  This was the same walk that I did a couple of weeks ago.  We stopped and watched a boat go through the locks.  Then we had a quick look at the Godstow Nunnery.  Then we ended up at the Trout Inn.  This was our big splurge of our time here. 
Apparently the likes of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein also ate here.  We had really gotten warmed up, hiking about two miles in the sunshine to get there.  So we chose to eat on the terrace, but by the time we got our food the sun had gone behind the clouds and it turned out to be quite chilly out there!  Our food was quite good, but we decided you pay more for the atmosphere than for the food quality.  The "pudding" was spectacular!  We walked home through the Port Meadow and petted a pony and dodged cow pies.  


And there you have it.  Probably next time I write will be from the good ol' USA.

Comments

podso said…
Can't believe your time is at an end there. What's next? Thanks for great photos, a good time to be there in the spring, it's all so pretty.
Dusty Penguin said…
I have fallen in love with Oxford through your posts. I have enjoyed all the beautiful pictures and have shown many of them to other people.
podso said…
I did the Dorset post for you! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …