Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thoughts on Poverty

I have been looking at the Human Development Index published by the UN. This is an index that ranks the countries of the world by compiling how they are doing in a variety of categories such as literacy, infant mortality, access to clean drinking water, sanitation facilities, life expectancy, access to health care, average yearly income, etc. The #1 country in the world is Norway. #13 on the list is the United States. And dead last at #182 is Niger.

Compare these statistics:

Life Expectancy in the US is 78 years.....Life Expectancy in Niger is 57 (That means, on average, I'm getting well into my old age in Niger!)

Adult Literacy Rate in the US is 99.0%....Adult Literacy Rate in Niger is 28.7%

In Niger 44% of the children under five are under-weight, and 50% of the children under five are stunted in their growth. We won't even talk about obese children in America.

The under-five mortality rate in the US is 8 out of 1,000, but in Niger it is 176 out of 1,000.

65% of Niger's population live on $1.25 or less a day.

42% of Niger's people use an un-improved water source (mostly in rural areas).

The US government spends an average of $3,074 per person on health while Niger's government spends an average of $14 per person. Let me illustrate, since a picture is worth 1,000 words. Here is an American health facility and below it, a Nigerien health facility.
Only 7% of Niger's population have improved sanitation facilities. I'm not sure what they mean by that....They have a flushing toilet? Or a latrine? I know many people who have neither and maybe that's what they mean. Again, two pictures to contrast life here and life there:
(this picture was our latrine in Tera, which we used when we didn't have any running water, which was about four months out of the year.)

You can find more such statistics here, here, and here.

So, why am I telling you this? Certainly not to make Niger look bad, because even though it is the poorest country in the world, but it's still a great place to live. People are what makes a place a good place to live, and I think if statistics could be formed based on friendliness, safety, etc. Niger would be near the top.

But, I want you to be aware of how others in the world live. Not everybody lives the way we are privileged to live. One of my questions for God will be why some of us are so blessed and so privileged while other people are so poor and struggle to obtain every bite of food they eat. Why can Americans live like this:while Nigeriens live like this:True, the house in Niger isn't much to look at, but are the people in the nice house necessarily any happier than these poor people?

With awareness should come involvement. How can you help poor people? Contribute to organizations such as SIM, Samaritan's Purse, and World Vision who help meet physical needs while seeking to meet spiritual needs. Get involved in the inner city. Go to a third world country as a missionary.

This song by Leeland really hit me and seems to sum it up pretty well: (You can listen to part of it here)

Follow You
You lived among the least of these
The weary and the weak
And it would be a tragedy for me to turn away.

All my needs you have supplied.
When I was dead you gave me life.
How could I not give it away so freely?

And I'll follow you into the homes that are broken.
Follow you into the world.
Meet the needs for the poor and the needy, God.
Follow you into the World.

Use my hands, use my feet
To make your kingdom come
Through the corners of the earth
Until your work is done
'Cause faith without works is dead
And on the cross your blood was shed
So how could I not give it away so freely?

And I'll follow you into the homes that are broken.
Follow you into the world.
Meet the needs for the poor and the needy, God.
Follow you into the world.

I give all myself
Yes, I give all myself.
And I give all myself...to you.

And I'll follow you into the homes that are broken
Follow you into the world.
Meet the needs for the poor and the needy, God.
Follow you into the world.

Another reason to share this with you is that we have a lot to be thankful for! Sometimes I just look at how much support we need to raise, or worry about how we will pay for college for the kids, or wish that I could buy that cute outfit at the mall, or look with longing eyes at the really nice house down the road. This website brings you a good dose of reality! The Global Rich List is a somewhat interactive site on which you type in your income and then it tells you what percentage you live in in the entire world. Let's say your income is $35,000 a year (and I know, here in America you are pinching pennies to live at that!). According to the Global Rich List you are in the top 4.62% income in the world!!! You can also play with the site using pounds, euros, Canadian dollars, and yen. (It is operated by CARE, which I don't know enough about to endorse, but the site itself is very interesting.)

So, this Thanksgiving....don't feel guilty for what God has blessed you with. Instead, be thankful and get involved!

4 comments:

Barefoot Mama said...

Love the new layout! Thanks for this post. Lots of good thoughts.

Beka said...

ahh! you changed your blog! that proves it, you are definitely on home assignment! it looks great!!! thanks for the thoughts too. how to explain the two worlds that are so different is always a dilemma. you did a fabulous job.

Georgene said...

This post was wonderful! Such perspective. I feel that my 300 sq. ft studio apartment is a mansion after reading your blog.

I wish I could think of the book that shows all the countries of the world with a family sitting in front of their homes with all their belongings. Need I say that the American's had a huge amount of STUFF?

When will you leave for home?

blind_schoolb said...

This really puts things in to perspective for me.