Saturday, October 03, 2009

Weeks Six and Seven of a Two-Month Trip

We spent two weeks in Sebring, FL with my parents. Sebring is where SIM has their retirement center, so the place is full of retired missionaries. They are true heroes of the faith! Most of them, for as long as they are able, are involved in local churches and ministries. My dad, for example, preaches at the prison and my mom organizes prayer letters for the missionaries to pray over in their Thursday night prayer meeting (if you are a SIM missionary it is likely you get prayed for on Thursdays!).

We were able to spend some nice time just relaxing and not going anywhere! We had some good conversations with my parents. Every day was in the high 80's or 90's so we enjoyed the pool. We have several supporters in Sebring so they took us out for meals and we got to spend some great times with them. My parents also had some company in....my dad's cousins from Ohio visited and another day some friends of theirs came over.

It wasn't all fun and games. John prepared a message for the churches we will be speaking in in South Carolina. I have been trying to get as many people on our mailing list as possible switched over to receiving our prayer letter electronically rather than through the mail. I also put together a display to put on tables when we speak at churches. I ordered the posters from Snapfish and just inserted them in the display stand (I don't know what to call it!) that we've used for the last three home assignments....this is the 4th. I just switch the pictures around every time.

September 30 found us on the road again, heading north. We visited two supporters in Dowling Park, FL at the Advent Christian Retirement Center. We stayed in their guest house which is on the banks of the Suwanee River...remember the song "Way down upon the Suwanee River"? Well, that's where we stayed. That's the Suwanee River visible through the trees as seen from our balcony.

We are now in Charlotte. We'll be speaking in Jackson, SC tomorrow and in Columbia next weekend. In between, we will be attending the Home Assignment Retreat here at SIM headquarters. We're already noticing that the farther north we drive, the colder it is getting. We enjoyed our warm days in Texas and Florida!

1 comment:

Barefoot Mama said...

Sounds like y'all had lots of fun! I love the Spanish moss.