Skip to main content

Weeks Eight and Nine of an Eight-Week Trip

I dunno. I must have counted wrong at the beginning because we only added one extra day to our trip. But it was definitely longer than eight weeks!

Anyway, from Florida we drove up to North Carolina to mission headquarters where we had our re-entry interview. That was on Friday. Then Saturday we drove to a town near Greenville, SC and visited supporters. Then we went from there to a supporting church in Jackson, SC. We spoke in Sunday School, morning church, and evening church. We had a great time there as we always do. We ate dinner with the pastor and then had the afternoon to ourselves. It was nice to just have time to read and relax. I spent the afternoon outside. Right beside the church is a tree-lined lane leading up to a house. The trees are enormous and majestic, providing a lot of shade. I'd love to take this whole lane to Niger. They'd be the most popular trees in town!

From there we went back to mission headquarters where we attended a Home Assignment Retreat. The first two days we had sessions with things to help us in our Relationship Development Ministry (RDM---traditionally stands for Resource Development, but our new director likes Relationship Development better and so do I. We don't have Resources without Relationships!) Then we took two days for a spiritual retreat. We went to a beautiful house on a lake. We had sessions together and then we split up and went our own ways. Because the house is built on several different levels, it was easy for us to each find our own special nook by a window, out on a deck, somewhere in the yard, or on the dock. I personally preferred the dock (seen in the picture above)...sitting in the sun, basking in the light and warmth of the sun and of the SON.

I thought it would be really difficult to spend two days in spiritual retreat, but it was great. I think spending time alone with God, just listening and giving Him time to speak is something we, or I should say I, am not very good at! I need to do it more often. We have gotten away from taking a Sabbath rest, often using Sundays to catch up on work or to continue on in our frantic pace. Sundays are especially difficult for those involved in ministry and we need to find other times to come apart. I have been really challenged to set aside time to spend alone with God. And taking a nap as part of the retreat is allowed. The purpose is to find rest and if we are exhausted, sleeping may be exactly what God wants us to do.

After the retreat, we drove back down to SC and spoke at Woodland Hills Community Church. They had a missions get-together/supper Saturday night and we shared. On Sunday they had a missions speaker. They also took faith promise pledges and over $27,000 was promised in addition to the regular missions budget. This is not a church of high-income people either....but it is a church full of very misisons-minded people with a lot of faith. The look on the pastor's face when the amount raised was mentioned was priceless. God is so good! Sunday's service was followed by dinner on the grounds.

We stayed with a family that are such an example of how God works in people's lives. It's not my place to write their story here, but suffice it to say that God is an amazing God!

From North Carolina we went on to Virginia. We stopped at Liberty to visit our nephew, Jacob, at Liberty University. From there we went on to visit his brother and sister-in-law, Caleb and Keri in Christiansburg. We spent the night with them, then the next day ate lunch with Peggy. From there we drove on to Lanham, MD. We spent the night there and visited at Washington Bible College.

Finally we got home!!! Nine weeks on the road!!! And it is snowing. This is what we woke up to this morning and more is predicted. It looks kind of funny with the leaves still on the trees. The weather man tells us this is the earliest in October that there has been snow since people started keeping records. We might be in for a very snowy winter!


Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…