Skip to main content

The First Week of an Eight-week Trip

August 13 we left our home in PA in the good hands of a mouse that was still on the loose and that refused to be caught before we left. I just hope he has brought his wife and 10 kids in by the time we get back!

We had a great weekend with Suzanne during her Getting Started weekend. They have a lot of good sessions for both students and parents....some sessions together and some separate. We kept busy all day on both Friday and Saturday and walked what felt like miles around campus. Suzanne has a nice room. It's not huge, by any means, but it's not bad. How do you like the Songhai blanket she has on her bed (top bunk)? She wisely didn't take everything she owns...it would have been hard to find a place for everthing.

Cedarville has a beautiful campus. This is the Dixon Ministry Center where daily chapel sessions are held.
This is the Stevens Student Center which houses the cafeteria, the post office, the theatre where they do plays, and numerous offices. It is pretty much the place where everybody hangs out.
One of the newest buildings is the Bible building (can't remember what it's called). It is really beautiful.
It's really nice to know that Daniel is also there with Suzanne. He can show her all the ropes, plus it's a lot less lonely with your brother or sister around! It's hard to say good-bye to them, but we know they are at a good school and that they will do well there. It's also nice that my sister is working at Cedarville.

From Cedarville, we drove through the cornfields and soybean fields surrounding Cedarville. We stopped in northern Ohio and stayed with friends....and saw more cornfields and soybean fields. Then up into Michigan and more fields....Michigan is obviously hurting financially.
We visited my aunt and cousin and her family in Grand Rapids, which looks a lot better than southern MI. Then we stayed a night with missionary friends near Lansing. We had been in French study with them back in 1986. Then we went to visit other friends who live near Lansing. And then down to Indiana where we visited another aunt. We've had a good time so far!

Comments

Wow, it's hard to believe you have two college kids! Somehow, you are still my 4th grade teacher! :)

That's neat your kids are at Cedarville. My husband has a close friend whose daughter went there and really enjoyed it. And very neat that your kids are there together!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…