Sunday, July 26, 2009

Blueberry Picking


I LOVE blueberries! When they are in season I eat them on my cereal every morning. Not only are they delicious, but they are also good for you. They are higher in antioxidants than any other fruit and they are also high in Vitamins C and E. They are low in calories and lower your cholestorol! Not to mention that they are pretty to look at, too!

On Friday John and I went to Ritters' Farm Market to pick blueberries. There you pay by the pound so you aren't supposed to eat as you pick. It was mighty tempting, believe me, but I exercised great self-restraint and didn't eat any!

We were there about an hour and picked nine pounds of blueberries!
She gave us one large bucket and we wanted to fill it. We almost filled it, but not quite. She said that bucket full is usually right around 10 pounds.
We have had a lot of cold, rainy days this summer, so it was nice to be outside on a warmer day. It is cloudy in these pictures, but the sun did shine before we were through. I froze most of the berries and made a pie out of some of them. I want to go back and get enough to make some jam. Then I'll be able to enjoy blueberries all year long!

"Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb,
Real sky-blue, and heavy, and ready to drum

In the cavernous pail of the first one to come!

And all ripe together, not some of them green

And some of them ripe! You ought to have seen!"
--from Blueberries by Robert Frost

2 comments:

Beka said...

YUMMY!!!! i'm turning blue er.. green with blueberry envy. you said it was sunny, but i noticed john was still wearing his fleece! what kind of summer is that anyway!? hoping you get more sun soon. some of the rain is coming this way, so maybe we will trade!?

Katie Barker said...

Oh love those pictures - especially the first one. I can't imagine having 9 pounds of blueberries around. Tim would love it!