Skip to main content

Scrapbooking

First, let it be known that it is 109 degrees in the shade and the power is OFF!!!! You know those warnings you get back in the US in the summer when it is hot and they tell you to stay home where it is cool because it is dangerous to go outside? (We always laugh when we hear those!) I think they forgot to warn us here today!

My main project for now is working on a scrapbook for Suzanne. I enjoy putting together the story of her life in pictures for her to have as a memory and to show her friends at college so they can understand a bit of who she is and where she's coming from. I did one for Daniel, too. In fact for both of them it will be more than one book.

While I enjoy doing this project, it's not without its frustrations. One is that I don't have a place to just spread out and keep it there and come back to it to work on it whenever I have a minute or two. So it's kind of a big production to pull it out every time I want to work. Although I have taken to leaving it stacked up on the end of the dining room table. Fortunately there are usually only three of us for supper! But Daniel is coming. Since we have a small table, I'll need the whole table while he is here. Yikes.

The 2nd frustration has to do with printing the pictures. Ink cartridges just don't last out here. The heat and dryness mess them up, so we keep them in the freezer, but even then it seems like only every other cartridge has the right amount of ink and color in them. I'll put a brand new ink cartridge in and all the pictures come out purple or yellow. Or I'll put one in and it just doesn't work at all. On Sunday I went through three cartridges before the system worked properly!

I could do an email picture order through Walmart or some place like that, but they wouldn't mail them out here! And I wasn't organized enough to order them and have them sent to Daniel. Plus which it takes a long time to upload one picture.

Another problem is one of my own making. In all honesty I'd rather work with photoshop than scrapbooking, so I get distracted with playing too much with pictures when I could just use them the way they are.

And then there are the power outages. Like right now, I can use the laptop until the battery dies and the internet wireless is on battery back-up. But I can't print anything.

I guess it is true that you have a greater appreciation for the things you have to work hard to get. So, I keep working away and know that it will be worth it. Memories are important, especially as Suzanne ends this chapter of her life and God begins writing for her a new chapter. As with all books, we are in suspense as to what the author has planned next for her.
(Although, as The Sacred Romance reminds us, God is not only the author, but the main character. He is romancing her and wooing her to himself and it is exciting to see her responding to His love for her!)

Since there's no power, I guess I'd better go and arrange some more pages and glue some things in!

Comments

Katie Barker said…
Ah-- you're such a great mom Nancy! I'm sure Suzanne will appreciate your labor of love. I hope you enjoy the opportunity to be creative as well! I love to scrapbook.
Deb said…
As I read of how you work so hard to make this special book for your daughter, I remember doing something similar but not as elaborate for our two oldest and crying through the pictures. Lots of good tears and I think it helped in my letting go a bit. Of course, they are still close in many ways but it is a change. So, I guess I am saying that I think it's not only wonderful for Suzanne, but also for you. I am a hugger, so I send a mom to mom hug to you this morning. Take good care.
I remember Daniel's scrapbook! It will be well worth the effort you are putting into it. My mom made each of us a quilt for our graduation! I still have mine. I do not know how you handle the heat with no ac. When this happens at our house we headed to the Rec. Center. I have done a lot of work over there!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …