Skip to main content

It's Hot!

Over all, Niger is a pretty hot place to live. In December the nights get down in the 50's and we call it cold. But if every month is "hot", May has to exceed them all on the misery scale. Even the Nigeriens are miserably hot and the favorite greeting after the usual, "How are you?" is "How is the heat?" The response is that it's really hot or a resigned, "It's the season for it."

Right now it is 5:20 p.m. and it is 108 degrees according to the internet. I'm guessing it was over 110 at the heat of the day. And this morning when I got up at 5 a.m., the internet said it was 90 degrees. As you can see, it never gets truly cool during the month of May.

Butter that you forgot to put back in the fridge when you went to church is a liquid blob when you come back three hours later.
Birthday candles refuse to stand up straight. (Notice the two candles under "Happy" on our friend Mike's birthday cake.)

Overhead fans move the hot air around and offer a little relief. We have air conditioners in our bedrooms that we use at night, but no cooling in the rest of the house. There is an evaporative cooler in my office, but it just adds to the humidity that has been increasing so we don't usually turn it on.

All over town, people are running air conditioners and fans and sometimes the power grid just can't handle it all and the power cuts are more frequent. A couple of weeks ago the power was off for four hours Saturday night and three hours Sunday night. We had candles on in the house, but we were out on the terrace with a battery lamp and flashlights hoping against hope to feel some kind of cool breeze. Sahel Academy seems to have more frequent power cuts than anybody and it is not unusual to go over there in the afternoon and see classes being conducted outside....sure it's hotter outside than in, but at least the air moves outside.

Every day we look at the sky, hoping to see clouds, praying for the first cooling, refreshing, reviving rain of the season. In fact, if you want to hope along with us, here is a fun website to look at. Just click on the underlined print and it should take you right to the sight. If you see dark red over Niger, that is probably rain.

In the meantime God's Word, as always, is an encouragement. These are some of our favorite hot season verses:In case you can't read that, it is: "Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that send sout its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:7 & 8

Please pray for us during the rest of this month and into June. It is really hard to be kind and patient to each other when it is so hot. Tempers run short because every body is over tired. Then we have the stress of packing up to return to the USA for home assignment coupled with the busy-ness of ending our jobs well and getting ready for Suzanne's graduation added to the heat. We're doing ok, but we do need your prayers.

Comments

Palmer said…
I don't know how you can sleep in those conditions! I even find it amazing to think that people once lived in the more humid parts of the US before there was air conditioning. Didn't they know what the weather was like in California?!

There's a reward in heaven for you. I hear the weather is good there, even better than in California.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…