Skip to main content

Tera Outreach Trip



This past weekend, we took a group of Sahel students up to Tera for an outreach trip. We stayed in the church property of the Bethel church. This property is across the street from the home of a Christian family who let us use the property and who also let us use their latrines. The girls camped in this tent. John and I forgot the poles for our tent, but at least we had cots, so we slept under the stars. The boys slept at the private school property that this family owns and operates.


The first night they kids just sang together and we had devotions together. We went to bed fairly early knowing we had a big day ahead of us the next day.

We spent Saturday morning in Doumba helping put a new roof on their church. The roof beams had been eaten by termites and had collapsed in the rainy season. John had already purchased new beams of a more termite-resistant type of log and the believers had the logs in place and new mats attached. It was up to the kids to mix this dirt and water and make mud. Oh yeah! Fun! It was sort of a cross between making mud pies and mud wrestling.

It was hard work, moving all that mud around. It sucked them right down in and each time they pulled a leg up, it was like moving an extra 20 pounds. They got it done, though, and then they had to transfer the mud from the pit up to the roof and then spread the mud over the roof. When the mud is dry, they'll cover it with thick black plastic and then coat it with mud again.

We were all pretty tired when we got back to Tera. We had lunch and then everybody stretched out...apparently our cots were the choice place to rest. Here we have at least six kids on two cots.

In the afternoon we had a kids' club. I'm not sure how many came, but they all listened well. We did the story of Abraham and Isaac. I told the story and the teens acted it out. On Sunday we told the story of the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. There was a man who came in and at first I was a little uneasy. But he was answering questions and totally getting in to the story. Then he wanted a picture and he sat and colored a picture. I think he was maybe mentally retarded or something, but I'm glad he enjoyed himself!

On Saturday night we showed the Jesus film in an open area. It was past midnight before we got everything put away and got to bed. We just dropped into bed exhausted!

The next day we went to two different church services. I didn't get any pictures of the film or of church. All of our meals were cooked by two ladies in Tera, but we had KP duty...rather a simple arrangement, but it worked.

It was a great weekend! It's always good to see old friends again, to be able to encourage the believers, but at the same time it is discouraging to see how much still needs to be done there. Don't stop praying!

Comments

I have still been following every post of your (by rss feed) and continue to note the similarities between our countries. Started up the blog again too. Stop by when you get a chance. How is your son doing?
~PakKaramu~ said…
Pak Karamu reading your blogs

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…