Skip to main content

Love and Respect

A friend loaned me the book Love & Respect: The Love She Most Deserves, The Respect He Desperately Needs by Emerson Eggerichs about a year ago. It took me this long to get around to reading it, but am I ever glad I did!

I've read quite a number of books on marriage and they were all helpful in some way or another. Other ones I just can't seem to get around to reading. Like the one we had on our shelf for ages entitled something like Building Up Your Mate's Self-Esteem. I just couldn't see how my mate's self-esteem is my problem or how my self-esteem is his problem. Unless, of course, we are purposely trying to tear each other down. Which we aren't, so I didn't read it.

But this book is so good that I would recommend it to every married couple, every engaged couple, and every young adult who is trying to figure out the opposite sex. It's that good.

And it's really very simple. In fact the one weakness of the book is that it is a bit repetitive.

First, Dr. Eggerichs defines the problem. Couples get on the "Crazy Cycle" and can't get off. The problem is that either the husband or the wife acts in the wrong way which causes the wrong reaction in their spouse. So, since I'm a wife, I'll start with saying that the wife does something that shows disrespect to her husband. He feels unloved and unappreciated so he doesn't act towards her in a loving way. That makes her feel unloved and unwanted and then she feels like she can't respect him. Which makes him feel like there's no sense in trying so hard to be loving, which makes.....you get the idea.

The second part of the book deals with the solution to the problem. Dr. Eggerichs presents what he calls the energizing cycle. In this cycle the wife, just as our starting point, shows respect to her husband. He then responds in love to her and she respects him for it and so on. The hard part is that love comes naturally to women and respect comes naturally to men and women need to learn to show respect and men need to learn to show love. I'll let you read the book yourself to find some very practical and helpful suggestions.

One good thing about the book.....and very convicting....is that he hits the women just as hard as the men. Most books on marriage that I've read talk about how the man should be more loving, but the women are left feeling pretty good because they're already doing well in that department. He also talks about how we tend to mother our husbands because we love them and want them to be better....but it comes across as very disrespectful.

The third section is the rewarded cycle. There are times when we show respect and it isn't reciprocated with love or men show love and their wives don't respect them back. Or perhaps their spouse is extremely difficult to love or respect. Or maybe their spouse doesn't even want to work on their marriage. But Dr. Eggerichs shows how his love can be shown regardless of her respect and her respect can be shown regardless of his love.

Regardless of our spouse's reaction, we need to do this for the Lord. Marriage is a picture of Christ and the church. When I respect my husband, I am really respecting the Head of the Church, Jesus Christ. When a husband loves his wife, he is really being a picture of Jesus loving the church and giving Himself to it.

I definitely recommend the book, but be prepared to be convicted and to make some changes in your relationship!

Comments

Karen Thiessen said…
Hey Nancy. I tried to read this book, twice. Maybe I never got far enough to make it worthwhile. Both times I felt like the author was just saying the same thing, over and over, and I just got frustrated with it so I put it up. I gave it to my daughter . . . but maybe I should try a third time.
Katie Barker said…
Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the recommendation. I always appreciate having a book recommendation from someone I know instead of just looking up and down the aisle trying to guess what might be good. I've added it to my amazon wish list for the next time we're buying books :)

just for fun - I'd highly recommend "Loving your man without loosing your mind" it was a good read.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …