Friday, February 20, 2009

I Hurt Myself Sleeping

For the past couple of years my right shoulder has gotten more and more painful whenever I move it. At conference time a doctor from another mission said he would come and see whatever missionaries needed a doctor so that the SIM doctors could have a break (which was ironic because the SIM doctors ended up taking care of our two brain surgery people!). Anyway, I decided that since I can no longer even get my arm behind my back maybe it was time to go see a doctor. I mean I don't have constant pain....just when I move my arm to certain positions. Although I must admit the pain is becoming more and more often and more intense.

So I went. He moved my arm this way and that and declared that I have a problem with my rotator cuff. He asked if I had injured it doing a sport. Ha! He obviously doesn't know me very well! It's kind of hard to hurt yourself doing something you don't ever do! So, he kept asking questions trying to figure out how I got my rotator cuff messed up. Finally he asked if I sleep with my arm over my head. I said, I do and he said that's probably what did it. Seven to eight hours with my arm up, even though it was supported, would do it. We also have a very firm mattress which I am wondering if it may be contributing to the problem.

So, how do you like that? I hurt myself sleeping. It seems like it would be less embarassing to say I hurt myself playing sports. But no, I have to say I hurt myself sleeping.

He gave me some exercises to do, which I am trying to do routinely. I also take one asprin in the morning and one in the evening. Asprin is better than Tylenol for this because it reduces the swelling as well as relieves the pain. The asprin seems to be the best thing I've done for it yet.

So, be careful how you sleep! You may hurt yourself!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Boy, just when I thought that sleeping might be the only completely safe activity! You just had to go and bust my bubble, didn't you? :) So sorry about your injury...since Dad went through this, I know it's no fun at all! I hope those exercises will bring the healing needed.

Katie Barker said...

ah- no fun. Sorry to hear about the pain! But, I am so glad you were able to get some advice and exercises for it. So, have you picked a new sleeping position yet?

Palmer said...

I had a similar pain a few years ago and it turned out to be a very small calcium deposit, maybe the size of a grain of sand, in my shoulder. It eventually went away, maybe because of physical therapy, maybe not.