Friday, December 12, 2008

Cake decorating



Here at the office we have a thing called "Pidgin". It is an inter-office chat line and we can message each other on our computers instead of having to go all the way to somebody else's office....I mean our offices are so far apart. Seriously, it really is nice.




Anyway, one day last week I was working away at my desk. It was one of those days when I had a lot to do and didn't know quite how I was going to get it all done. Then a message popped up from my co-worker, Doudou, asking me if I could do something for him. I hesitantly asked what it was he wanted. He said it was his fiancee's birthday on Friday and could I make a cake for him to give her.




Well, how could I say no? Anything for love! I asked what kind and he said all the cakes I make are good, so I should choose. Later in the day he asked if I could write her name on it. I said I wasn't sure about that!




I am terrible at decorating cakes, cookies, etc. Long ago when I taught at KA in Nigeria, I helped in a weekend cake decorating club. My friend was the expert. I was just there to "help". Everybody else made beautiful frosting roses, but I just made frosting blobs.


So, I made a spice cake and put brown sugar frosting on it. Then I saw the candy hearts in the cupboard and decided I could decorate with those. So this is what I did.
He was really pleased when he saw it. He said that was better than writing her name! He said she really liked it and was happy with it.


4 comments:

Ishtar said...

That cake looks great, Nancy!!!
Hugs from Zinder,
Esther

Dusty Penguin said...

Aren't you a sweetheart! My decorating ability is at the same level as yours, apparently! Your cake turned out very nicely. Nice outfit, too! And your hair is getting pretty long.

Anonymous said...

I like it, and I think it was so kind of you to bake it for them!
Julie ( my sister) is the one in the fmaily who is good at decorating as well, I am terrible! LOL
Love, JO

Georgene said...

It's been awhile since I stopped by for a visit. So glad to see you are doing well! The cake is so pretty! I enjoyed your post about the lizard and the different homes. God bless you!