Monday, November 17, 2008

Things I Never Noticed Before

Isn't it strange how you go to certain places frequently and all of a sudden one day you notice something there and you think, how long has that been there? And all of your friends start laughing because they noticed it ages ago.

Recently John and I went to the vegetable seller where we have bought vegetables for over 16 years. I took pictures of him buying vegetables and when we got home and I looked at this picture, I had to laugh. I had NEVER seen that bicycle in the tree before. I doubt if it's been there 16 years, but I bet it's been there more than a week! When I looked at this picture was the first time I ever saw it. (to the left of John's head in case YOU can't see it!)

And why do you think a bicycle would be in a tree? I reckon it just makes a good storage room for "some day" when they get it fixed. Kids can't mess with it up there and you'd want to steal it pretty bad to drag it down out of the tree.

Then a few days later I noticed a talisman in a Lebanese shop. It was up above the door and was about a 4-inch glass object with the design of an eye painted on it. I assume it is to protect the shop in some way, probably against the evil eye. Then I went to another Lebanese shop and I saw a similar object beside the door in that shop. It didn't have an eye painted on it, though. It was some design, nothing in particular. I've shopped at both places for years and, judging by the layer of dust on the talismans, I'd say they've been there for a long time.

It makes me wonder how many other things I don't observe. And I consider myself fairly observant! I may be missing important clues in the culture, about people I am talking to, etc. Time to wake up and look around me more, I guess!

3 comments:

Katie Barker said...

How very funny!

Dusty Penguin said...

That's so funny! BTW, love John's t-shirt! Apparently there was a tree here at CU outside a boy's dorm that they called the garbage tree. I guess the boys on the second floor would throw things out into the tree--including a bicycle! I'm told they cut the tree down, but there were some pretty funny things thrown into it. One day after I'd been cleaning here for WEEKS, I walked into a bathroom that I clean every day and said, Did they just put up that mirror there? I never saw it before!

Anonymous said...

That happens to me all the time, when I see something in a photo I did not see when I was there in person, the other it made me think of was when I got glasses for the first time and everything was so clear and I could see so far, I loved seeing everything everything as if for the first time!
Watch out for John he might trick you by putting things around the house that never were there before and tell you they always were just to mess with your mind! LOL!
"What we always had that hanging from the bathroom doorway?" I can hear it now..

Love, JO