Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fun Gifts

Have you ever read the book about Love Languages? My love language is definitely acts of service. But gifts may be my 2nd language.....I'm not sure. I love giving gifts and would rather shop for other people than for myself. But maybe that's because it's more an act of service for me. Whatever......I know that I enjoy getting gifts, too, especially if they comeas a surprise.

One gift that I enjoyed, mostly because I totally didn't expect it, was given to me last May. Ben Stam gave it to me. He was here at Sahel to teach Math and he hung out at our house a lot. People teased him about scarfing off us because he did have a knack for showing up at meal time. He didn't scarf off us, though, because he'd often call and say he was coming, but he was going to the store first and was there anything he could pick up. Or he'd come in with the ingredients for ice cream and then make ice cream for us. One day he was telling me about chocolate candy with hot pepper in it. I totally didn't believe him because that is just way too bizarre. So one day he came in with this candy bar for me. Mind you, Lindt is THE BEST chocolate candy IN THE WORLD! And here it was....... dark chocolat with red pepper. I couldn't believe it....and yes, it was bizarre, but I ate it all because Ben had bought me a gift! I don't know which store he got it in because I never saw it in any stores and I've never seen it since.

Recently, unexpectedly, I received a package in the mail. It was from my mom and when I opened it I discovered a blouse in my favorite shade of blue, and it fit, and it was adorable. I coudn't believe it. I had a new blouse to wear and I didn't even know I was going to get it!

And my mother-in-law has already sent us our Christmas gifts. They are in hiding behind the bed.....where we always hide Christmas gifts. Hmmmm.....wonder what I'm gonna get?!

4 comments:

Dusty Penguin said...

Your blouse is really pretty! Looks great on you. I'd LOVE to try that candy! So was it really spicy hot? I can't even imagine it.

Amanda said...

I have bought that chocolate here in Western Australia before, it's pretty nice stuff I think.

ed & liz said...

That is a beautiful shirt - GREAT color on you!
~Liz Stuart

Palmer said...

Loved hearing about the blouse. Isn't God good to send encouragement in small ways?