Skip to main content

A Tribute to Jeanette Hausser






My great-aunt Jeanette went to heaven last Sunday, September 14. She died of cancer at the age of 94. When I was just an itty-bitty thing we lived in Cedarville, near Aunt Jeanette. I don't remember her from then, but I'm sure I loved her! Then when I was in 1st and 2nd grade, we again lived in Cedarville. Every Friday night her family came to our house for supper and every Sunday we went to their house for dinner. I'll have to admit I don't have a lot of specific memories of her from that time, just that I remember that Fridays and Sundays were the best days of the week!


Then I went to Cedarville University (College back then) and I lived with Aunt Jeanette for my freshman and sophomore years. Again, Sundays were my favorite day! All of her children and grandkids who lived in the area came for dinner. Even when I moved into the dorm, I still showed up for Sunday dinner.


Aunt Jeanette was such a kind, gentle person who could see the humor in every situation. She was tender-hearted, but also very strong. She faced many difficulties in life: her husband died in his 50's, her oldest son was killed in a motorcycle accident, and her 2nd oldest son has struggled with some serious illnesses including a kidney transplant with the kidney donated by his sister. Through it all her faith has been strong.




She always knew how to have fun. This picture is an example. We were at Aunt Jeanette's for Easter in 2005. Daniel and Suzanne were in high school, John and I in our 40's, and she and her brother, Uncle Carl, in their 90's. She got eggs and egg dying stuff and we dyed eggs even though all of us were well beyond the typical age for egg dying!


Perhaps the best thing about going to Aunt Jeanette's house (aside from the lasagna!) was sitting at the table or out on the porch talking. Long summer evenings on the porch swing are synonymous with being at Aunt Jeanette's house.


My brother, in a letter he posted on a website about her illnes, said that for us gypsies who roamed the world her house was always the center of our world, our anchor no matter how far we roamed.


I will miss you, Aunt Jeanette! But I look forward to the day when I can sit on the porch of your mansion and we can sit on the swing and talk and talk. That will be the day!

Comments

Deb said…
What a sweet story - brought tears to my eyes. Because of your post, I too am touched by the life lived by your Aunt Jeanette. Thank you for sharing.
growingingrace said…
What a wonderful tribute to your Aunt. She sounds like she lived a full life and can enjoy the rewards that have been laid up in heaven for her. I know you will miss her.
Amrita said…
Hi Nancy,
Got to you thru Mossionblogs.com.

Good to read about your life and work in Niger.

My sis and family lived in Nigeria for 17 years.BIL was an engineer and she was a SAHM and ran a pre-school too.

They know many SIM and ECWA missioinaries.

Aunt Jeanette was a real woman o f God
Dusty Penguin said…
Thank you for sharing, as I haven't taken the time or energy yet to post about this on my blog and can't post pictures. Aunt Jeanette's funeral was beautiful and very Christ-honoring. The music was so moving. It was good to see so many family members, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…