Skip to main content

Injured on the Job

Whenever I have to get an apartment or a house ready for a new arrival, the place needs to be thoroughly cleaned first. I usually hire somebody to help me do the cleaning. In July, I asked Koumbo to help me with an apartment. She has worked for me in the past and is a good worker.

The first thing we needed to do was to move a bed from one room to another. It had a piece of plywood on it so the mattress wouldn't be so saggy. She lifted up the plywood and I thought she'd be able to move it, but she dropped it on her foot. I could tell she was in terrible pain and it started swelling up.

I took her to the clinic and we saw the doctor right away. He ordered an x-ray and we got that right away. Then he said the orthopedic doctor would have to come. And he was in an operation, but as soon as he got out, he'd come. So we waited a while and then I went back to work. I went to check on her at noon....she was still waiting. I went to check on her at 3:00....she was still waiting. I went to check on her at 6:30....she was still waiting. Finally, around 7:00 p.m. he came. He had been operating all day (not on the same person). He looked at the x-ray and said she had broken two toes. He wanted to put a cast on her foot to protect the toes from further damage and prevent her from walking around much.

So, he told the doctor how to put on a cast and then left. The doctor wrote me a prescription for the stuff to make the cast and I had to go to the pharmacy to get it myself. Then he put the cast on and we finally got to take Koumbo home.

Two weeks later we went back to the orthopedic doctor for a check-up. He said she could have the cast off, but there was no tool at the clinic to get it off. So, he said we'd have to go to his office at the hospital on Monday (it was Saturday) and he would cut it off then.

Koumbo wasn't happy at that news. She was tired of the cast. I wasn't happy, either, because I had a lot of work to do on Monday. Well, I need to tell you that the cast wasn't a very wonderful example of how a cast should be done. It was nearly worn through in places, just from her bending her foot and the little walking she did from her house to the toilet. So, I said, "Koumbo, I do believe we could cut that cast off ourselves." So we went home and we cut, ripped, and tore, and we got it off ourselves! We saved ourselves another trip to the doctor and another office doctor fee!

Comments

Beth said…
Sounds like patience is a must with medical things in Niger. I've broken my toe twice and never had a cast on it...didn't realize that was possible. I'm glad that Koumbo is on the road to recovery.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …