Skip to main content

Funny Stories

As you have probably figured out by now, we spend a lot of time at the ferry! Almost every time we go to or from Niamey, we cross the Niger River on the ferry. It is only a five- to ten-minute crossing, but we usually have to wait for the ferry at least 10 minutes and as long as up to an hour. It is blazing hot there as the entire area is paved in black tar and there is absolutely no shade.

Recently we were at the ferry late in the afternoon. So, the sun was going down and maybe this guy couldn’t see very well. At any rate he comes up to our truck and kind of leans on my door and starts a conversation with John that went like this:
Random guy: Hi White People! How are you? Hey, Yaaye, is this your daughter?
John: No, she’s my wife.
Random guy: Did you get a new wife? (Take a 2nd one)
John: No, I’ve had her for over 20 years.
Random guy: What? She’s the same one? She doesn’t look like the old one! She’s a lot younger.
John: Yep, she’s the same one.
Random guy: How old are you? You must be a lot older than your wife!
John: I’m 48.
Random guy: That’s not so old. How old is your wife?

I don’t remember exactly what John said, but he wasn’t allowed to say my age. We both got a real kick out of the conversation. I’m sure he wondered what we thought was so funny! In case you're wondering, no I haven’t had a face lift or anything!!

Here’s another funny one. You know how kids often can’t pronounce words well? This little guy, Kabiru (aka Geghis Khan) asked me one day, “When are we going to do ah-way-soo-waa?” I couldn’t figure out what he was talking about. He kept going on and on about awaysoowa and I finally figured out he was asking about “Alleluia”. They have figured out that Christians say “Alleluia” a lot and many of them now call Sunday School and kids’ club “Alleluia”. So he just wanted to know when I was going to start teaching again!

Recently we resumed kids’ club. I was teaching about how Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refused to eat the king’s food. We also talked a lot about how certain things like smoking and drinking beer are not good for you and can harm your health. As you know, Daniel and his friends were tested for ten days on a diet of fruits and vegetables. Because they were so strong and healthy, they were allowed to remain on that diet for three years. Then they appeared before the king who found them to be wiser than anybody else. At the end of the story, we had review questions. I asked, “When the king tested Daniel and his friends, what did he say to them?” The first little girl, Gaambi, said, “He said he would kill them.” Nope, not right, so I went to a little boy, Oumarou, and asked him. Oumarou says, very seriously, “He told them to drink more beer.” I don’t know if he was just trying to be funny or not, but we were playing for points. Everybody thought it was so funny they weren’t too mad that he didn’t win their team any points. As you can tell from the picture, he's quite a character.

Like they say….it’s better to laugh than cry. There are days when I feel like crying, but thank God for these funny things He sends my way!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, Nancy, I LOVE LOVE LOVE how you see life, and how you respond to it! I can hear your voice and your laughter as you told these stories!

Love, JO
Carol Wilson said…
Wonderful stories. Nice to see Genghis again. Disheartening to think how their little minds work! Only by the grace of God do any of us get it "right"!
Blessings,
Carol

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …