Skip to main content

Days 2, 3, and 4 of our Trip




We are now in Hemet, CA at my brother's house, having been on the road for over a week (from PA, that is).

Daniel and I took a lot of pictures driving from NY at my sister's house to Ohio. Unfortunately I removed all those pictures from my camera and put them on my computer which I didn't bring on this trip, so I can't show you any photos. We had a good trip, but got in a major slow-down in Cleveland caused by construction.

We arrived at Aunt Jeanette's in good time. Uncle Carl had arrived the day before and Mom, Dad, and Natalie arrived late that night because they needed to wait until Natalie got off work to come to Ohio. Aunt Jeanette had a really full house, with every bed and couch full!

Daniel and I went over to Cedarville for
registration. I was so proud of Daniel for wearing his Niger t-shirt on registration day. There's nothing like being proud of your roots!We got there shortly after the line opened and found that there was already a long line.
The next day and a half were very busy with settling in and trying to absorb all that we were being told in the sessions we attended. I regret that I didn't have much time to go through things with Daniel. I think he may have felt a bit overwhelmed, but these things work themselves out and will be a learning experience for him. I told him that the first week will be confusing as everything is new, but after that it will become routine. We were pleased with the size of his room, and with Mom and Natalie's help, soon got everything put away. Meanwhile Dad and Uncle Carl put together a "some-construction-required" bookshelf for Daniel.

On the 2nd day of orientation, I helped Daniel get his books for his classes and then there was a session for mk's that I wanted to attend. So Mom, Dad, and Natalie came and met us at the cafeteria for brunch. While Dad, Daniel, and I attended the mk session, Mom and Natalie finished putting away some stuff in Daniel's room. By the time we left on our trip, Daniel's roommate still hadn't arrived, so I have yet to meet him. Thankfully I will be back to Ohio and will get to meet him then. As you can see, Cedarville has a nice sunny cafeteria with lots of windows and a view of the pond. I would call it a lake, but when I was a student at Cedarville and I referred to it as a lake, all my friends from Michigan would scoff since to them it barely rated as a puddle.

We drove that day through the rest of Ohio, Illinois, and Missouri. Near the end of Illinois we ran into construction and moved about 15 miles in two hours. It was extremely late (about 12:30 a.m.) when we finally reached our hotel. Unfortunately a rollicking party was going on and the drunks made plenty of noise most of the night. I put earplugs in and slept pretty well, but we were on the road by 7 or 7:30, pretty tired from our short and restless night.

I will post more about our trip tomorrow. I can't get this picture to move up where I want it, so I'll just add a note here. This is Dad hanging out with his hommie, Paul Dixon, the former president of the college.

Comments

NIGER1.COM said…
Stay in touch with NIger news
on http://www.niger1.com/niger.html

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …