Skip to main content

A Golden Anniversary

My mother and father-in-law celebrated their 50th anniversary. The celebration took place from June 20-24. It was like a big family reunion.

On the 20th Tim and Laurie and their 4 sons came over for Dad D's birthday. After supper he said he wanted us to sing at the piano. We all enjoyed that immensely. Here we have Jacob leading the singing and John playing the piano. Too bad you can't hear all Jacob's sound effects!

Mom D's 4 sisters and their husbands arrived in the evening of June 21. The next afternoon they came over. Dad D entertained us by showing us all his hats. We also had another hymn sing around the piano. This photo shows Uncle Willard, Aunt Lucille, and Aunt Bev singing. Let me digress a moment....Uncle Willard and Aunt Lucille have been to Niger! Uncle Willard set up our solar system for us back in our pre-electricity days!

That evening we had a picnic at Tim and Laurie's house. Unfortunately it decided to rain right at picnic time! This is Mom D and Aunt Muriel and Aunt Lucille waiting for the rain to go away!

On Saturday Mom and Dad D took us all to the Chinese Buffet for lunch. Here we have from left to right Aunt Muriel (Uncle Sev went to heaven about two years ago), Aunt Bev, Uncle Walt, and Dad and Mom D. On the other side of the table was Uncle Willard, Aunt Lucille, Uncle Bob, and Aunt Joyce. Then there was the "middle aged" table with John and I, Jim and Beth Anne, and Laurie. Tim had taken Seth to a sporting event and Dave hadn't arrived from OK yet. Then Jim's sons and their girlfriends were at a table and Daniel, Suzanne and the other cousins were at a table.
In the afternoon Laurie, her mom, Suzanne, Caleb's girlfriend Carrie, BethAnne, and I went to the church and did as much ahead-of time food preparation as we could. Meanwhile John went to the airport to pick up his brother, Dave. And Mom and Dad D went to the airport to pick up Dad's brother, Herb, along with his daughter and son-in-law. That evening we went out for supper with my parents who were staying at a hotel. It happened to be the same hotel where the aunts were staying! We went to Friendlys and just had soups and salads since we'd had such a big lunch. Mom and Dad D went out to a really posh restaurant for supper with their sisters and brothers and in-laws.

We had the anniversary party Sunday afternoon. Here's Suzanne helping to set out some of the food.

The aunts and some of the cousins sang "Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us". I think they had had that song at their wedding.

Cutting the cake which I guess was pretty much just like the one they had at their wedding. The cake topper was the same one they had on their wedding cake.

The four sons...John, Jim, Dave, and Tim. If Dave and Tim switched places, they'd be in birth order.

The oldest and the youngest, John and Dave, look the most alike. In fact, somebody came up to John and asked how the house construction was's Dave that's building the house. Somebody else asked Dave how the water situation is in Tera....uhhh, he hasn't been there so he doesn't really know!

Here's a shot of Mom D and her four sisters in birth order from right to left: Jean, Muriel, Bev, Lucille, and Joyce. The other four all live in Tacoma, Washington....or near Tacoma, anyway.

Caleb designed a new DeValve family crest that was really cool. That was the family gift to Mom and Dad D and they also got polo shirts with the crest on it. In fact, we will all be getting these shirts. So, it was a really great party!


Dusty Penguin said…
It sounds like it was a really great several days and a beautiful party. I know how much work those take! By the way, one of Dad DeValve's hats looked suspiciously like a blond wig! The crest was a really super idea, and the polo shirts as well.
That is awesome, it is wonderful when we all get together as family, we have been so busy these days that it is hard to stop and do what is important like visiting!!
Palmer said…
Nice crest. I'd be interested to hear the symbolism of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…