Skip to main content

Daniel's Last Week in Tera

Daniel's last week in Tera went by much too quickly. Part of me wants to keep my kids with me forever. The other part realizes that their leaving home is a normal step in their development and I'm just thankful that he is able to make this step on his own (with God's help and lots of support from friends and family).

Daniel loves going hunting with his beebee gun. Mainly he shoots birds, though lizards are a favoirte target. Birds are edible, however, whereas nobody will eat lizards (except monitor lizards). So, the neighborhood boys follow him around when he hunts and then he gives them the meat. They cook it and they all partake in the feast. I had some of the pigeon. It was excellent. The boy on the left is Karimun, the boy who had typhoid fever. He made a remarkable recovery once he got the right medicine!






Daniel loves playing war games. His favorite is Axis and Allies but I won't play that with him. It's too complicated for me. So, I played Risk with him...let's just say he wiped me off the face of the earth in record time.


We all went in our room, turned on the AC and watched movies on the computer. The office/ministry room where the TV is is about 105 degrees by the evening. We can cool our bedroom down to about 82, so that's a huge difference!

Of course, we made one last trip to Picnic Rock. We climbed to the top of the hill where we took this picture. Isn't it nice? Then we went back down and ate our picnic, then John played the guitar and we sang. We ended the evening by tossing the frisbee around.


On his last night in Tera, we had an "invitation" and invited all his friends he's grown up with and people from the church and others we know well. Maimouna and Hawa cooked for me. I made cake and we also made little treat bags of candy to give to everyone. The food is served on huge trays and everybody gathers around and eats with their hands. So you can only have a limited number of people at a tray. This is just one of the groups.



Daniel gave away his clothes that he didn't want to take with him to the US. Some of them were pretty good clothes, but others were in really bad shape, like these boxers whose elastic was shot. Jumassi put them on over his trousers because he knew they wouldn't stay up. The next picture shows what happened when we tried to walk way in his new shorts. That was the last thing we saw as we drove away from Tera. We all had a good laugh!

Comments

journeyer said…
What a memorable day. So many "last time" things packed in. Glad it was good. You are such a dear mother.
Cindy said…
Love the last picture!!
I am praying for you!
Our round of goodbyes start next week.
Take lot's of pictures
Hugs to all
Beth said…
What a hilarious memory to leave with as your last! I hope things will go well as Daniel settles in and you help him prepare for College.
Rachel van Veen said…
hilarious! We'll look out for the boxers when we arrive in Tera!
Dusty Penguin said…
It made me sad. The endings of chapters are always sad, especially when the chapter is really long. But the new chapter will be exciting too. I'm sorry I missed your call on my cell. I'll try to reach you maybe tonight.
Dusty Penguin said…
Call me again--I don't know where to call you at. Your favorite sis:)
Carol Wilson said…
Great memories. Thanks for being willing to share such tender moments. Sorry to learn (from Jeremy's blog) that you're ill. I pray it'll be very short. Have a fabulous summer. By the way, we can't get Tera off our hearts, and we pray daily for the guys there, and now for the van Veens.
Love,
Carol

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …