Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Easter






Easter seems like a distant memory already, but I'm going to go ahead and post some photos from the day so you'll know what it was like for us.





We collected all the people in our church in Tera and drove to Doumba, about 7 miles away. We decided to combine the two churches, Tera and Doumba, since both are small and neither really have a pastor. We sat outside in what felt like a barnyard. Our mats were right beside where the sheep are tied up at night so we were right by piles of sheep dung. People would walk by and those worshipping would greet them and talk to them for awhile before turning back to listen again. Women continued working all around us....pounding grain, sifting flour, etc. But we had a great time singing....The Doumba folks are Gourmas and the Gourmas are great singers. Then John gave a good Easter message, followed by communion.






After the service we went home and had lamb chops and I forget what else. I wanted to make a mustard sauce for the lamb chops, but I didn't have any mustard. So I went to a little shop down the street to get some, but he didn't have any. So I went to the next little shop and he didn't have any, so on to the next little shop. I kept going like that and before I knew it, I was all the way to the market where there are bigger little shops. I finally found some at one of those shops. I was so hot by then, too, because it was about 110 in the shade. So I bought a bag of water (cold water to drink is sold in plastic bags here!) and sat in the shop and drank my water before I headed home. That made dinner quite late and no time to make dessert.


So, that was pretty much our Easter. I hope you enjoy these photos. Isn't it cool how we don't have to have a fancy church or new Easter clothes to celebrate our Lord's resurrection! It would be easier to get into a spirit of celebration if it weren't so miserably hot, though!

I was trying to take pictures of the kids and just as I would get ready to snap it, they would come in real close trying to see what was inside this weird contraption. I thought it was pretty funny.

3 comments:

Carol Wilson said...

I love sharing your Easter. Thanks for the great photos. We continue to pray for you.
Carol

Dusty Penguin said...

Thank you for sharing your Easter. I paid $15.00 for a small piece of lamb, which probably would have bought a whole lamb in Africa, and it was barely enough for the 3 of us! It wasn't as flavorful as African lamb. It tasted like beef. We didn't have it for Easter though. We had it last night. I'm surprised the people even let you take their pictures. It says alot about how much they trust you. I had to laugh at the woman sitting with her back to John. So typical.

Hannatu said...

Lamb here is definitely good. I guess it takes more wild, therefore more flavor. People here beg us to take their photos. I think some people in the bush are afraid that you'll capture their spirit, but most people near us are not afraid. Yeah, I don't know why she never turned around. There aren't any taboos about facing the preacher. I think she just sat down that way and never bothered to turn around! Her back was almost up against mine. Maybe I was hogging all the leg space!