Skip to main content

Trip to Thailand

















John and I just returned from Thailand where we attended a consultation for missionaries. It was pretty good. Lots and lots of meetings. We were busy from morning to night with not much free time. The food was wonderful! The hotel was luxurious, at least for us! This is our hotel. We were on the 12th floor.



We had to go a few days before the consultation and stay a few days after. So we did get to see some things. That was because there are so few flights into and out of Niger. Not exactly a world-class tourist destination.




So, we had to fly from here to Casa Blanca, Morocco. The Casa Blanca airport is very small, but
clean. But after 6 hours, what is there to do? It was a LONG wait. From there we flew to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. We flew Emirate Air and they sure know how to run an airline! The service was top-notch. The airport is....opulent. But it was so busy and there were tons of people. People from every country in the world probably. We were so exhausted. It was the middle of the night, so we finally just laid down on the floor and slept. As I looked up, this is what I saw. They had these fake palm trees in the airport and columns with little lights on them. Anyway, our third flight was from Dubai to Bangkok. A driver picked us up in Bangkok and took us two hours by road south to Pattaya where our hotel was.





This hotel was called "Ambassador City" and it was like a little city. There were four hotel buildings, three pools, and a conference center. It was right on the beach. They had their own little tourist market, grocery store, and restaurants. Our meetings kept us busy all day long and into the night, but we were able to squeeze in some swimming and John went to the exercise room a lot. This was the view from our window. You can see the three pools and the beach.

After the conference we did more swimming, walked the beach, went shopping, and.....the highlight for me....rode an elephant! You had to pay to ride the elephant. Then the elephant man stopped the elephant and got off and took our camera and took photos for us. So we had to pay him a tip. Then when we got back from the ride, this guy told us to sit down at a table. We were like, no we don't want to buy any food. But they brought us a plate of pineapple and watermelon....part of the deal I guess. Then we bought bananas and fed them to the elephant and took pictures. We also got to sit on the elephant's tusks and the John let the elephant pick him up in its trunk. These elephants are so smart. The man just talks to the elephant and they obey. We went to a cheap place, but some of the more touristy places have elephants who "play" soccer and who paint pictures. These are Asian elephants and they are smaller than African elephants and I think more trainable. They were grey, but had pink splothces on their skin. It was a great experience and I'm glad I got to do it.

These trucks are the poor man's taxi. As soon as I saw one, I said, I've got to ride in one of those. They are pickup trucks with benches in the back. About 10 people can ride inside and then there is a special place where two people can stand on the back bumper. There are switches on the roof that you push to ring a bell when you want to get off. It was a lot of fun.
I have so many more pictures, but I guess this will do. It's hard to describe a new place to people. Everything was so different from Africa or from North America. It was clean, people are hospitable, it was so modern. It was a fantastic time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great updates on your time Nancy! It looks really clean like you said. Are there ay signs of the Tsunami that hit there awhile back?? Love the elephant pics!!! Well done!

Mike
Hannatu said…
I'm sure there were signs of the tsunami, but we were in a different area, so we didn't see it.
malamacindy said…
Great Pics. Nancy!! Glad that you were able to have a bit of 'fun'....you guys deserve it!!
We were praying for you guys!!
Palmer said…
I got to spend almost a week in Bangkok about 15 years ago and it was one of the highlights of my life. Like you, I don't think I saw an unattractive Thai . . . what a beautiful people.

You enjoyed your pick-up truck taxi but for us it was the little tuk-tuks, the 3-wheel cabs. It was a great adventure.
Dusty Penguin said…
It looks like such a beautiful place, and I'm so glad you got to do some fun and relaxing things. It reminds me of our vacations together in The Gambia, except that hotel doesn't bear any resemblance to Cape Point!!
Elisa (Italia) said…
Ciao
volevo farti i complimenti hai un sito bellissimo un abbraccio dall'Italia
Elisa

Congratulations on a beautiful website
Loved everything on your site and you did a magnificent job. You should be proud of yourself
if youhave just a minute, visit me back and live a comment with your link, so other Italian people will be able to visit your blog
Elisa

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  





We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.



Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …