Skip to main content

Kids!


Kids are everywhere in Niger! Over half the population of Niger is under 15!

Kids are so willing to pose for photos. They love our digital cameras and crowd around after each photo yelling, "Ey ma di!" Which actually sounds like, "M di! M di!" "Let me see! Let me see!" Here are some of my favorite kid photos that I've taken in recent months.


This little guy was eating candy I had given him. His nose is just a little disgusting! He tries so hard to be funny...his version of funny is just spouting nonsense. And doing stuff like showing everybody the green candy in his mouth!



This little boy ALWAYS has a dirty nose. The first thing I say everytime I see him is, "Go blow your nose." He's so naughty, but so cute! He lives next door and all day long I hear his mom calling his name. Jeremy calls him Genghis Khan. But the other kids think he's saying "Genji Kaan" which would mean a good crazy person. Either way, the name seems to fit! See the string around his neck? Tied to the string is a leather pouch with some sort of verses from the Koran wrapped up inside. It is a charm.

This boy's name is....no kidding....Saddam-Hussein. He's very rough, almost like he'
s trying to live up to his name. But I've discovered if you give him a job to do, he's happy and is very willing to please.









These two are neighbors. The one on the left lives right beside us in a grass hut. She is so adorable, but so mischevious. She really can't sit still and loves to talk. The other one lives two doors down and her mom works in my house for me. She is generally pretty cute and likes t
o cuddle. But, maybe because she is the youngest of 11, she can sure pitch a fit! She just throws herself on the ground and screams and screams. Maybe because she's the youngest of 11, she is usually ignored when she has a fit!













This is one of the older brothers of the little girl that pitches fits. I don't think the stuff on his face is food or snot. They had been fixing up their house by dabbing liquidy mud on the walls and it had splatted all over him. Well, ok, maybe there is some snot there.















This girl is a relative of my house lady. Her family lives in Coutounou (or s
omewhere) and they left her here to live with her aunt (my house lady). She is about 15 and has quit school. She pretty much does all the house work at their house. She is a hard worker. The little boy is not her child. He is the grandson of my house worker's co-wife (their husband has three wives).







This is a picture Joni Byker took of th
ree girls in the village of D____. Aren't they adorable? I don't really know them, but I loved this picture. Check out Joni's website at www.bykerwoman.com.





It is not unusual....in fact, it is the norm, to have children peeking in our windows. They love to come to the kitchen window or door and talk to me while I'm cooking. They especially like to peek in the dining room window while we're eating. What's up with these strange white people? Why is Yaaye eating with his wife? Who does she think she is, acting equal with him? And what is that junk they're eating, anyway? And look at those pretty plates. John says it's like they're watching Little House on the Edge of the Desert. That's why we have curtains! One thing for sure....we never get lonely with this many kids around!

Next post.....what do we do with all these kids!?






Comments

mymeanderings said…
I laughed at the line "Okay maybe there is some snot there"
You write just like you talk..I LOVE that about your posts!

The relative of your house lady is so pretty, I feel sad for her being left behind. The family situations are so different from ours.

I cannot imagine here in the states having little kids looking in the windows!
Anonymous said…
Dear Nancy,

I finally caught up on your blog. I love it! Thanks for making life in Tera come alive for us. Loved the photo of you teaching on Jeremy's photobucket. Gorgeous! Can't wait to see all of Joni's photos; she is an artist with her camera.

Love,
Carol
Cindy Borody said…
Great pictures Nancy!!
Thanks for bringing a bit of Niger to those of us who can't be there right now!
Cindy
Dusty Penguin said…
nwGreat pictures. Can't say I miss snotty noses:) I loved the "Little House on the Desert" line. And dad wonders why we had such a complex about being stared at!
Hannatu said…
I seem to remember he didn't like to go on picnics because people would stare at us!
blind_schoolb said…
Very cute Kids, how are they doing Now?

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…