Skip to main content

Christmas Celebrations, Part I

We've got it good in Tera because we celebrate Christmas twice. We have a church Christmas celebrated Nigerien style and a family Christmas celebrated American style.

Christmas Eve was a Sunday, so we had church and Sunday school as usual. Then we had a nice curry dinner, a Christmas Eve tradition for us. After a short rest, the preparation for the Christmas feast began. I'll spare you the slitting-of-the-goat's-throat pictures, but here are two of my friends cutting up the meat. When it was all cut we kept it refrigerated until the next day when it was cooked into a delicious sauce. That night John went to a 10-12 p.m. service at one of the other churches. He got there and found nothing planned and he ended up having to give the message without any advanced preparation or warning.

On Christmas Day we were up early getting things ready. John and some of the men finished preparing the cornstalk shelter that serves as our church. Then he made three trips to Doumba to pick up the women and children...the men walked the four miles to Tera. Because of all his driving back and forth, the service started late. But waiting for things to start is more normal than abnormal here in Niger. Once we got started we had lots of singing, prayers, and an excellent message in Songhai by John with a Gourmantce translation. The children in our group were not very well behaved, unfortunately. Maybe it's because they were sitting on the ground, squished together with no room to move. Maybe it's because they were hyper with excitement. Maybe just because they're naughty children in need of a Saviour! Probably a combination of all the above. We were thrilled that one of the Tera Six attended the service and ate with us afterwards. Also in attendance were the wife and two sisters of one of the believers.

After the service we walked the nearly 1 mile distance back to our house. Our yard soon filled up with over 100 people. Some were the ladies doing the cooking, but most were people who had attended the service. The women served a delicious sauce and rice and "maaka" (maccaroni) on huge serving trays. A group of people, such as men, boys, teen boys, women, gathered around each tray and ate with their hands. Doing dishes was pretty simple! In this picture you can see Daniel, Jeremy, and Soumeyla enjoying their dinner. Again, the children were so naughty that we kicked them out of the yard as soon as they ate so we could have a little peace and quiet.

The men and a few kids spent the afternoon watching a video and the women and I listened to Bible stories on cassette. Later we had a snack of peanuts fixed three different ways (raw in the shell, roasted in the shell, and ash peanuts) and "treetop" (Kool-aid) to drink. In the late afternoon John made three more trips returning the tired, full, happy Doumba folks to their homes. We were tired, too, and I had a raging headache by then and John was just plain old exhausted.


Dusty Penguin said…
Those big dinners are exhausting, even with alot of help from the women. Especially with as many people as you had. It sounds like an exhausting day, but some good opportunities for sharing the gospel.

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  

February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.

In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…