Friday, October 06, 2006

A New Fridge

Last term we started to have a lot of trouble with our fridge. It was over 20 years old and we were the third owners. The fan in the freezer that circulated the cold air would not work properly. We were having a repairman fix it every month or so. He finally got it fixed pretty well and it had been working consistently for several months. But we decided it couldn't be relied on any more, so we sold it just before we left. Mike had a fridge belonging to SIM that he was using.

So, the first thing we did when we got back to Niger was to buy a new fridge. With some money we had saved and with some gifts from some very generous people, we were able to get a very nice one. It cost about twice what a fridge would cost in the US. But if we had bought one in the US, then paid the import tax, it probably would have ended up being the same amount. Buying it here had the added advantage of having the fridge run on 220 volts instead of 110 like American fridges do.

Anyway, I am really happy with it. It freezes ice incredibly fast and it's supposed to be a power saver fridge. We'll see if our electricity bill is really any different or not! You can see in this picture of me how hot and sweaty I look. Being able to have a cold drink on a hot day is a wonderful thing!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I can see the pictures now! I've stood in that kitchen in the dorm and that brought back memories. I'm not sure if it's still there but I did a painting for the dorm while we were there. It was of a boy with a big red umbrella and a bunch of animals done in oils and used to hand in the dorm dining room! Anyway, great to read all about your new fridge.

Hannatu said...

It used to be, but Brenda redecorated and I can't think if it is or not. I think it is.

Dusty Penguin said...

I'm so happy for you for your new fridge! Now if the power will just cooperate!!

Chinglishman said...

So where do you pour in the kerosene?

journeyer said...

Oh I am so happy for you. Glad that you could get a new fridge. God is so good and faithful to us!