Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Packing

Our house is in chaos right now. As my dad would say, it looks like a couple of missionary barrels exploded in here. Stuff is everywhere ...sort of organized...piles of books, piles of clothes, piles of medicine, piles of kitchen things, etc.

We said we wouldn't take much back with us this time, but somehow it accumulates. We have a lot of gifts to take back to our Nigerien friends. In their culture, a traveler always returns with gifts for family and friends.

We have shoes because the ones we can get there just don't last. Same with underwear.

We have some medicines and kitchen items we just can't get there.

New pillows and sheets. Sweat ruins bedding so fast and our old stuff was looking pretty bad.

Computer stuff. Definitely can't get that there.

We're packing it up in boxes and suitcases. Fortunately both John and I work on it. In some families one or the other spouse hates packing and is really bad at it and the other spouse ends up doing it all. It's rather a fine art finding just the right spot for that odd shaped item and not going over the 70-pound weight limit.

So, the chaos is slowly turning into packed boxes. I hate disorder so this is always somewhat stressful. Pray for us to get all the packing done and maybe have a day or two to just relax! LOL

Most of all, pray for the van to sell. We hate to leave it for somebody here to have to sell for us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do you leave to head back?

Laura (Muntz) De Soer

Amanda said...

oh wow! I know EXACTLY how you feel, been there and done that one. What a job hey! I'm happy to send a prayer card to you in Niger, I'll pop it in the post this week and it will probably be there when you get there(when is that?). I'm posting one to several Niger SIM people too (Cunninghams in Maradi, Moore's in Niamey etc..) so no problem at all!

Live, Love, Laugh said...

oh my goodness! looks like things are a little out of order! We are in the process of remodeling and my husband has a tendency to move things in places and leave them where the house is no longer user friendly, I have to run around behind him and clean it all up, but at least things are getting beatiful so I won't complain.

Hannatu said...

We leave August 10, arrive on August 11, go to Tera on August 12. I'll have a blog about that soon.
Live, Laugh, Love: My husband lays important things he wants down somewhere near the mess never to be seen again! I suppose he'll find them when we get to Niger.

Dusty Penguin said...

Oh my, I'm having a panic attack here. I think I read somewhere just recently that international travel lowered their 70 pound limit. Please call your airline ASAP to find out before it's too late to change things around, or at least be prepared to pay over. And you're better off paying for an extra bag than overweight charges.

Dusty Penguin said...

My house looks like that with Erika getting ready for college. My good friend Arlene reminded me that we weren't going to Africa and that they do have modern stores in Cedarville!