Thursday, August 17, 2006

Day 4 and 5


Jet lag really kicked in Saturday night and I couldn't get to sleep until around 2 a.m. I slept until nearly 9, then took another little nap after breakfast. We had to leave for the airport around 11. This is a picture of us in the train station. We were quite the colorful bunch, representing the primary colors of yellow, blue, green, and red!

We stood in line for hours in the airport, getting our boarding passes and making sure our luggage would be on the plane with us. The Air France officials were very helpful.

The flight from Paris to Casa Blanca was about 3 hours. Then we had a six hour lay-over in Casa Blanca. We read, talked, walked around, played Phase 10, and I did some cross-stitch. It was a very boring six hour lay-over.

The flight from Casa to Niamey was another 3 hours and we arrived in Niamey in the stifling heat at about 3 a.m. Monday morning. Two of our bags were missing...John's and my clothes and one guitar. Nobody was there to meet us, but a missionary with another organization called some of our missionaries and in no time 2 vans and 1 pick-up arrived to take us and our luggage to where we were staying. We went right to bed and slept until noon.

We're slowly getting over jet lag and the kids are adjusting well. They miss their PA friends and their cousins, but enjoy being with their old friends here. We were able to pick up our missing luggage last night (our anniversary).

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, what a story! Praise the Lord you got there ok.

sue said...

So glad to hear you have arrived safely ... frankly is freaking me out just a bit with sending jeremy over there by himself, not quite having a handle on the language yet ... but know all will work out. Hope your adjustment goes smoothly.

Hannatu said...

I know how your mother heart feels. But we "adopted" a single man missionary with another mission in Paris. I know that if anything like that happened to Jeremy, God would provide somebody like us to hang out with. Also, I've only heard of a few people who have ever had to stay in Paris. In all our 20 years of traveling back and forth, this is the first for us. So, try not to worry, even though it's natural!

mymeanderings said...

Happy anniversary!

Who noticed the color combo first? I needed sunglasses to view it especially the yellow! LOL! I love how you all wear colors that match your energy and zeal.

Dusty Penguin said...

Yes, I love the four colors--undoubtedly totally unplanned. And I love the photo with John in a total blur of motion! How great to have a Moses to lead you in a foreign city. That's how I'd like to see Paris! I'd love to try the Parisien foods. Sounds wonderful. And the cat with feathers in his ears--what a laugh! Very descriptive as usual.