Skip to main content

Day 1: A Long, Eventful Trip

I can't even begin to tell you all the details of our trip to Niger. Let me just say there was a great deal of near panic at the very end! The day before we left we had to go get our wills signed at the notary, go visit friends who had just had a baby, and make one last stop at Pizza Hut. The kids had a youth event, and we were still packing and sewing name tags on the kids clothes.

We had to call Air France and notify them of our excess baggage. We had started calling on Saturday and still did not have an answer by Thursday morning, the day of our departure. To make a very long and stressful story short, we finally got word that we were allowed 200 kilos excess baggage per person and somehow they thought we had way more than that. They also wanted us to make sure the ink cartridges were out of the printers and that we pulled the beebee gun. So on Thursday morning, we were pulling the printers out of the boxes to get the cartridges out and pulling the gun to be sent on the container that is ready to leave for Niger. Our friend, Jim Knowlton, kindly found room for something he knows is extremely important to Daniel!

To complicate matters, the pastor called and said, "Have you heard the news?" We watched the TV, then, to find the news that we couldn't take any liquids or medicines not properly labeled in our carry-ons. So we had to pull stuff from our carry-ons and find room for them in our suitcases.

Pastor Terry Ribble drove us to the airport in the Grace Bible Church van. The check-in was lengthy, but no problems. The security was also very long and when we got through, our plane was boarding. We were due to take off right on time....but, some passengers were still in security, so we would wait for them. They came, but one more should be arriving soon. They got tired of waiting for him, but his suitcase was on, so they had to get in the cargo hold and find his suitcase and get it off the plane. Then a thunder storm kicked up and the entire airport was shut down. By the time it opened back up, we were about 10th in line to take off. Anyway, long story short...we sat in the plane at JFK for nearly six hours before we took off. Of course, we knew by then that we had missed our flight to Niamey as we only had a four hour lay-over in Paris.

I am posting this story in several segments, so go on to the next entry to read the next installment.


mymeanderings said…
I am having so much fun reading about your exciting journey! The "awe" picture was so great!! I like how you capture in words and pictures what it felt like to be there with your family! Moses er uh John is a riot, reminds me a little of Steve's father! Thank you for taking the time to describe these days for us, it is so much better than an email..I miss you guys!
Carol Wilson said…
I'm so glad you're making all these datails available. God answered our prayers--not exactly in the way we were visualizing. May He continue to give you grace and show you His smile.
Amanda said…
Hi! Just after you commented on my blog post about the funny photo behind the tree I posted a new entry into our tale of our trip to Niger! Not sure but you might know what I was talking about in this one (although you might not seeing as you don't live in Niamey!!).

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  

I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…

Happenings in November

Well, here we are, more than half way through December, and I'm just now getting around to telling you about November.  It was a fun, busy, and eventful month.  We were still on vacation and we got in a lot of good family time during the month.

We were still in Ohio with Suz and Theo at the beginning of the month.  Suz and Theo were working hard to get Hezekiah to gain weight.  He kept losing weight for the first few weeks of his life, but he's doing great now.  We tried to spend as much time as possible with Tera so Suzanne could concentrate on adjusting to the new baby ... but mostly just because we wanted to and we enjoy her so much.  

We also tried to get in as many baby snuggles as we could.

Whenever we are in the area, my dad's cousin, Jeanne, invites us for a meal. She is actually closer to me in age than to my dad, so I've always just considered her a cousin and don't try to figure out if she's a second cousin or a first cousin once removed.  Whatever the …